Ford Mustang Forums banner

Found my old 92 5.0 after 11 years!

13K views 88 replies 23 participants last post by  5150 
#1 ·
Found my old 92 5.0 after 11 years! Re-build thread

Hey dudes-
Been a long time since I have posted. I owned my 92 LX Hatch from 2002-2007, sold it when the economy tanked and we needed the money. My wife and I met in that car, dated in that car, I even did a burnout in the church parking lot the day we got married. Fast forward 11 years, I was recently feeling a bit nostalgic and thought I might try to look for it. In an amazing stroke of luck, it popped up for sale on Craigslist and I bought it back. It is in pretty rough shape but I'm going to do a mild restoration to bring it back to how it was when I sold it. Will be documenting progress on my YT channel. Good times ahead!

Justin

#64 ·
looking good

a few points

good time to pressure test the cooling system
install oem ignition components, throw out anything 'RED' in color
perform a leakdown test on all holes, document it, then do again after the first oil change and compare
having the history of the leakdown numbers will be extremely helpful in future diagnosis.
cant really tell, but i hope you have seals on the compressor inlet and outlet, you want to limit any exposure to air.

#65 ·
Great story and congrats on being able to find your old 5.0 and buy it back! So cool.

I wish I was able to find my old 86 GT and buy it back - been searching for years. I know it was in the NY/Pa region last based on CarFax reports but have no way of pinning it down. Even put the VIN online in forums in hopes that if someone else searched on it they would see I was looking for it...

#66 ·
Guys, she’s done.

The Prodigal Mustang. Took just over a year and now we can finally go cruising. Got a few small adjustments to make and I'll do a full polish once the weather warms up but it's basically done. Nice solid interior, engine sounds good and pulls nicely. It was a project but a worthy one. Just remember what we started with! Thanks for the encouragement along the way. Time to make some more memories with the family.

Justin

#67 ·
Looks good, nice job on resurrecting the hatch.

#75 ·
Thank you Sir. I live in the high desert of Utah between a mountain and a lake.

Fun fact: We had a huge fire in the summer that burnt a lot of the surrounding area. You can see about 1:20 in the video was before the fire, still had some greenery, but much of the rest was shot after the fire so the landscape is all burnt. Our neighborhood got evacuated but luckily the homes were ok.

So, what do you grab when you're being evacuated and might lose everything you own to a wild fire? Easy: wife, kids, guns, important documents, and the Mustang. Yep, she drove the minivan and I drove the fox out to safety until we could return. : )

Justin

#78 · (Edited)
Awesome resurrection! :)
How much fat mat did you use on the car? Was it the 50 mil thickness?

Reactions: 5150
#81 ·
Thank you Sir. The aerial footage was done by my neighbor flying a DJI phantom. For some of it he was sitting in the passenger seat while I was driving and for other shots he was standing outside. His drone does have a "follow me" function but he said he prefers to fly manually.

Justin

#82 ·
How did you get the USB and 12V adaptors in the center console? Did you buy just a cup holder console and drill the holes yourself and use separate sockets? If so how did you wire the sockets? I didn't see that style anywhere.

#83 ·
I did exactly as you stated but looking back I should have just bought this one, plug and play:

#84 ·
I put together a full build video, also took it to the dyno. It didn't get crazy numbers like a boosted car would have but it did better than stock. ;) All in all it's a clean car, a fun driver that I don't mind putting miles on, and it makes the right sound. Time to find a new project!

Justin

#85 ·
Way cool, man, nice job.
Awesome that the whole family helped.
Kids climbing in the back was great.

Reactions: 5150
#86 ·
5150, is that hood on your white lx a 2.5" or 3" cowl? Looks like a 3" cervinis cowl but wasn't sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.