Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an 01 cobra near me, and the seller says the engine tossed a rod. I am pretty competent engine wise, but have never worked on one of these cobra engines. He says the engine cranks but doesn’t start.

I know it is hard to diagnose, but what are the odds that the block an crank will be ok? Any tips? He want 3k for the car. It has a few body issues as well, but is fairly decent. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
If the engine cranks, it didn't toss a rod otherwise it would likely be mechanically locked up. Also if it did toss a rod, block crank and possibly head can be assumed trash. If you want to hope the internals and block are somewhat decent I'd take a bore scope and look down each plug hole. Mod motors are stupid expensive to rebuild so keep that in mind.

I'd make an offer by assuming it to be a roller.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Also realize just how hard it is to get all kinds of parts.
This supply chain disruption mean you may be waiting on random things .. in some cases many months.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If it turns over, it’ll probably start even if it kicked a rod.

Depending on how the rod failed, the crank, block, and head might be junk, but there’s no way of knowing for sure unless it’s torn down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
x2 on getting your hands on a bore scope. Cylinder condition will tell you everything. If all looks good, see if he can crank it while you put a finger over the spark plug hole. Does it build pressure?

Could also grab a magnet and see if you can pull chunks over to the oil drain plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts