Ford Mustang Forums banner

381 - 399 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Having beaten up a 1,000 hp hellcat on a closed track for a shoot, I can tell you they're a royal PITA to get down the track clean. This was shot the summer of 2017, and even though it was scripted for my car to lose, I did keep the timeslips from the tower - it didn't, and it wasn't even close. See attached pics. Here's the video - my buddy was driving my car (he'd never driven it before), it only had 15 degrees of timing in it and we put 160 lbs of cement in the truck to slow it down, and it's slowest pass (a weak idle launch) was still almost 4 tenths faster in the 1/8 than the Hellcat:

I honestly think you're gonna miss that mustang. That was a helluva an accomplishment you achieved with that car. A little spray and shazam!

One of those new GT500s on the other hand...

Attachments

·
Dean Scheidt
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
Question about your AoD: Did it suffer from RPM flare/shift delay on the 1-2 shift?
No. It shifted great on the street and at the track. I had the Lentech Strip Terminator which has fixed line pressure.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have gotten bit by the Volvo turbo bug.

Those 5 cylinder turbos can really move.

Nothing better than taking a 20 year old car and spanking people with a sleeper 😂

No dyno but my Volvo is putting out close to 400 fwhp. Drives like a go cart.

If I had space I’d buy a bunch of old 850s and V70s and flip them.
no hating here, gotta love modern tech and HP - check out my sig, not quite 810 but close enough...........
That's my thought too.

A Hellcat with all the bells & whistles (and all 4,500 lbs of it /forums/images/smilies/eeknew.gif) and a few small tweaks will be quicker through the quarter mile and probably 8-10 mph faster than my 89 Mustang.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #385

·
Dean Scheidt
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #386

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
That's great! When's it going to the track?

·
Dean Scheidt
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
That's great! When's it going to the track?
It won't be long. I want to install a differential brace and maybe driveshaft before taking it to the track with good drag radials.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Not one bit so far although it's only been 4-1/2 months.
We used to have a motorhome years ago and when the kids got married and left we didn't use it much so we sold it. People would say , how could you do that, don't you miss it. I just say, we had a good time with it and made a lot of memories with it, but now that it's gone I don't miss it at all. I don't miss loading and unloading it, I don't miss washing it, I don't miss fixing things on it all the time and maintaining it. It's just one less thing to think about now. The older I get the fewer things I want to worry about. (Aaron)

·
Dean Scheidt
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
Not one bit so far although it's only been 4-1/2 months.
It's been a year now and still haven't missed it one bit. lol

Yesterday I put the Hellcat on the same dyno that I used when I had the Mustang. 100% stock 2017 Hellcat except aluminum driveshaft and Vibrant mid-mufflers.

ScreenHunter_05 Dec. 21 22.47.jpg

Hellcat Dyno 12-20-2019 (1).jpg

Hellcat Dyno 12-20-2019 (3).jpg

·
Registered
10,786 Posts
It's been a year now and still haven't missed it one bit. lol

Yesterday I put the Hellcat on the same dyno that I used when I had the Mustang. 100% stock 2017 Hellcat except aluminum driveshaft and Vibrant mid-mufflers.

View attachment 1054871
similar to the numbers I got from my 2010 - the new tech is awesome

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I'm glad you're enjoying the car, Dean. Did you ever get a chance to take it to the track? I'd love to see how it compares to your Mustang. That Hellcat is the kind of car you either accept that it's going to lose value when you mod it, or you keep the mods minimal (reversible) and sell it 20 years from now for a profit. Think of the Cobra R from 1993. FWIW, I'm going a different direction too - as much as I like the Whipple, I'm building an electric Vortech to put on my car. But I'm not doing it here - the knuckleheads who run the corral torpedoed the hard work and time I put into the previous builds by changing the picture posting requirements, and all that experience has vaporized. I'm doing this build on Youtube - which I should have used for the other stuff, too. At least I would've made a few extra bucks as opposed to investing my time on the Corral. If you want to see the shenanigans, go here: https://www.youtube.com/user/AlexLTDLX

Nice numbers, BTW! Gotta love that trans - I have the same one in my DD Grand Cherokee.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
I watched your electric supercharger video. You are very ambitious and definitely like doing things differently than everyone else to make your car faster, lol. I'll check back to follow your progress.

Photobucket has ruined nearly all of my Corral threads and posts due to blurring my pictures. Now I'm adding pictures by using the "insert image" feature.

I made it to MIR twice and it was 100% stock including the OEM all-season 20" radials. I wanted 100% stock baseline runs for this year. I'll hit the track in March with Race Star wheels and Mickey Thompson tires on all four corners.

The time slip below was my quickest pass and I had to leave at idle then slowly add throttle until I finally reached full throttle well past the 60' mark. I did have a pass with a 7.249 1/8-mile and also had a pass with 127.41 mph. Unfortunately I have a 4,685 race weight now.

MDIR 09-08-2019 (4th).jpg

·
Dean Scheidt
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
P.S. - I hope I don't get in trouble or banned for posting Hellcat stuff on here.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Your 60' time is amazing with the stock radials. We had all kinds of traction issues with our Demon on the track - not just the leave, but even downtrack. Pulling over two and a quarter tons sure sucks up that hp fast, though. You have some great numbers - if you can put them all together, that thing should run mid 10's. I can't get over how good the Mopar and Ford/GM (same tranny) automatics are. Too bad they're expensive and huge to retrofit. There's video floating youtube around of some kid who RENTED a Mustang GT to go to a Coyote shootout, did nothing but some minor suspension tweaks and skinnies and drag tires and ran freakin' 10's. Amazing.

I'm not sure the electric Vortech will work out - I'm not getting rid of the Whipple if it doesn't. But we'll see. The open question is how much electric motor power will it take to spin the blower. The motor I ordered is rated at 50 volts, 300 amps, 15Kw and over 20 hp peak at 50,000 rpm - obviously it'll run off it's own lithium pack. Only one way to find out - and that's the fun part. Back to cleaning/organizing the garage so I have room to work and shoot youtube videos in there...

·
Dean Scheidt
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Does your Hellcat have traction control? Ever played with it if it does? MAN that is a lot of weight!!
Yes it does. I've had it in "Sport" mode for traction most of the time which turns off traction control and leaves some stability control active. I haven't tried either eliminating all traction/stability control by holding the traction button for 10 seconds or leaving it in street mode to see if traction control could help it get down the track faster. That's some stuff I can try next year.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Your 60' time is amazing with the stock radials.
if you can put them all together, that thing should run mid 10's.
Believe it or not, I actually had a 1.599 on the stock 20" all-season radials. It was my first pass with the Hellcat. It was also my best 1/8-mile but it fell off on the back half of the track for some reason. It should have been a very low 11 sec pass like 11.10-11.15.

MDIR 09-08-2019 (1st).jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes it does. I've had it in "Sport" mode for traction most of the time which turns off traction control and leaves some stability control active. I haven't tried either eliminating all traction/stability control by holding the traction button for 10 seconds or leaving it in street mode to see if traction control could help it get down the track faster. That's some stuff I can try next year.
You want to run with traction control completely off... on drag radials. I ran Mickey Thompson 305/18’s on my hellcat and now my redeye. Stock the hellcat went [email protected] with upper/lower pulley, LMI intake it went [email protected]
ive only had the redeye the track a couple of times on the same tires and have gone [email protected] bone stock in less then ideal conditions.

they are silly fast. Enjoy!

381 - 399 of 399 Posts