Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Fordstrokers 347 decided to spit the crank out. I have no idea why. It was dynoed at 350 to the tires, not commonly revved past 6000, never been to a track, and had around 3500 miles. So a very conservative build. It could have been block failure or the crank, will probably never know for sure, now.It pretty much took everything with it. At least 1 bent valve, and 2 others that touched the pistons. I still need to get the bottom end out and the pan off but figured it's time to figure out my next move.

Now I'm scared to run another stock block 347 with a cast crank, but yet don't feel like I need more. Did I just have bad luck or was I that close to the ragged edge? Is there any chance of anything being salvaged? Only 1 piston broke and it looks like the rod on that one is bent, could I maybe reuse the other stuff, or should I just write it all off. What about the cam, it seems to still be turning smoothly and I can't see any marks on it yet..

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this definitely sucks. I purposefully left it a little weak on power , to what I thought would be a safe level with the stock block, 350 ain't a lot. Though when it was on the dyno it was 100 degrees and raining. It was during a dyno days when everyone was complaining about how low the dyno was reading. It very well could have been more like 400.. and ran very strong.

If a stock block simply can't hold up to this power, I guess I'm down to few options. Either drop the power more, and keep a stock block, go to a 408 stock block, which still could be problems, or go aftermarket block and 363 it, then hope no other part fails and takes a $2000 block...

Reactions: cab0154

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But there are other ways.....
Sorry can't do an ls motor....... ;)

I guess I have to look at this realistically, I won't be happy with less power then what I had before, even though technically it would be enough. So stock block out. To go 408 I'd end up spending as much on new parts as the upgraded block will cost me, and I'd still have a stock block. So that's out.
I'm leaning toward a Dart 363 from ADp..

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably a million or so 302's were cast and put into vehicles, thousands upon thousands have been stroked to 347 and pictures of four or five busted stock blocks and its fact. I don't think so. I ran a 347 stock block with the 5.4 rod combination at the power level the op posted for seven years and 7K+ plus miles with zero issues and have seen many exceed that number hp wise.
Aren't you kinda doing the same thing? You're saying yours was good, so it must be a myth. 7k really isn't that many miles, I would be very curious to see how many 347 builds lasted to 50k.

Now to be fair, on a Dynojet mine probably would have been around the 400 mark. It was a very healthy running motor.

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes it was 28oz imbalance. It was a straight up Fordstrokers Liberator build. I'm honestly not that sure about what all was used, but I highly doubt they were stock.

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Most likely, just horrible luck on your side
. About 2 months after getting this motor in, my T5 blew third gear, in the exact same spot that my motor blew. So yeah I'd say thats bad luck to blow my motor and tranny in the exact same spot, and now that I think about it, almost exactly 1 year apart.

So I found another engine, a 393 stock block , AFR 185 headed , pre roller block using link bar lifters, forged internals except for Scat cast crank...Only has 1000 miles on it. Cam is kinda small, as well as those heads, I know, but I'm thinking it should be ok, maybe.. Opinions on rolling the dice on it.

Problem or not, is it comes preinstalled with a Capri wrapped around it. IOW I was looking for maybe a car with a nice engine that I could rob. Instead I found an engine in a car I will keep. I can slap my stock motor back in my current car until I can afford the Ford Racing 363 crate motor which I have decided would be a perfect match for it.

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mine had already been shifted for a good 500 rpm. I'm to old to really bang gears anyway...

· Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yeah, like it pulled from around 4000 to 4500 at around 3/4 throttle, then snap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts