Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the main difference between the ford tfi and a dual sync distributor?

Whats different about the electronics inside? Is the holley dual sync far superior to a tfi unit?

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
So what is the main difference between the ford tfi and a dual sync distributor?

Whats different about the electronics inside? Is the holley dual sync far superior to a tfi unit?

Totally different animals. The dual-sync uses an optical sensor and is much more accurate. The TFI will work fine with a Holley ECU but the Dual Sync is much better and you can also use it if you decide at some point to convert to CNP. One thing worth noting however- the TFI does not need an external ignition box to function, but the dual-sync does need an ignition box if you are running a single coil system.if you switch to CNP then no ignition box is needed.

I have two Fords with the Holley dual-sync, and am about to do a Terminator X install on my '92 LX which is just a H/C/I setup (no power adder) and I am going to use the TFI for now, will see how it goes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok good info thanks. Yeah i want to get the terminator X system for my n/a 427 and see how it does with the tfi distributor but i would like to go coil over plug at some point.hopefully it will work fine with the tfi for awhile.so the optical sensor cant be affected by noise so thats a plus.
Do you feel like your car runs better with the dual sync distributor?

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Ok good info thanks. Yeah i want to get the terminator X system for my n/a 427 and see how it does with the tfi distributor but i would like to go coil over plug at some point.hopefully it will work fine with the tfi for awhile.so the optical sensor cant be affected by noise so thats a plus.
Do you feel like your car runs better with the dual sync distributor?
If you plan to do CNP, honestly just do it right from the begining and go to a crank sensor and cam sensor setup, and get the 558-118 main harness. I wish I had done that with my 1992 GT. My Lightning is CNP.

As far as how it runs, I did a complete makeover of the driveline, so it would be hard to say, I did a fresh motor, new heads, cam, blower and the Holley HP. I think on a mild setup you probably honestly would not see much difference, but timing errors with TFI seem to be very common one you get a higher and faster revving combo.

I think the X is a nice system for those looking to upgrade from the old tech EEC-IV, but if you have a more radical combo, you might want to pony up for a HP or Dominator.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
How did you do the CNP setup on your Lightning, Greg?

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Soooo... all stock other than the CNP, eh? :LOL::LOL:

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg that looks awesome im definetly gonna go Coil near plug like that. That thing must purr like a kitten.

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Greg that looks awesome im definetly gonna go Coil near plug like that. That thing must purr like a kitten.
Thanks man! I don't know about the purring like a kitten part though, have you ever heard a geardriven Procharger up close? They growl pretty loud. When you stand behind it though, it sounds awesome and idles pretty damn good...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What holley harness and what coils did you use?

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
What holley harness and what coils did you use?
For main harness I used the 558-118, And for coils and sub-harness I went with the 556-128 "Big Coil" kit

For my combo and power level I felt this was the best way to go, but you can use LS coils and the standard sub-harness and save some money...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts