Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
AND,

a carefull detailed and experienced EYE will tell that this is a very VINTAGE ORIGINAL PICTURE,..because it has the original "dual drive" distributor mechanical cable that would drive the secondary rpm limiter control box..the other main drive output would spin the Jones-motorola mechanical tach.
all seemingly hooked to the accell three bearing small diameter cap distributor that was pretty much manditory to clear the shoebox plenum and the front intake ports..
also looks to be one of the weiand intakes with a converted plenum top / base for the early dominators.
the employment of a exhaust collector "draw out" of the valve covers...could be from "bill million"...
and a common of the day, aluminum waterpump off of a 289 with a cog belt drive ....

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
LOL I would sport that..! Imagine chevy guys face when you open the hood. Kato you need to get some rest lol.. you pretty much told the whole story of that motor hehehe.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
......I TOO .......used common electrical tape instead of any "covers"... unless accell gave them to me... there was not much else at the time....
..... notice also that the plug wires were relatively small in comparison to today... you were lucky back then to get 7 mm wires.
there was no such thing as MSD back then.. in fact, accell and HAYES ( the company now basically just deals with making the centerforce brand clutches)...was what most of us all used.... autotronic controlls was said to be the predicessor to MSD...
we also used a common dual point housing from mallory and hooked it to a "converter box".....some referred to them as an "amplifyer".....
some used a "unilite"...
there were a lot of various issues with the original ford electronicKs,,,the first units used a small diameter common cap of the day, (introduced about 1973) and it was not untilll about 1978 that the larger diameter cap became common.
to make the small ( as pictured ) cap not cause spark issues and cross fire or "tracking" inside the cap, we all tried various black magic along with drilling holes in the cap to let out the carbon fumes ETC.. many did in fact purge the cap with a special gas....maybe it was nitrogen...?? I dunno.
but as I said, I was one of the first in 1979/80 to make my own belt drive distributor that drove off of the front of camshaft ...NO electronicKs ..ran with the original flyweight advance mechanism........no water pump since I used a seperate pump mounted on the front motorplate.
it was fabbed from the top half of a accell three ball bearing /dual points dist,...that then I mounted it on a esscentric plate that I could rotate to tighten the belt.
crank triggers were not really around at the time...or at least within my college income purchase ability...nor was it within my then level of technical ability....electronicks were new to EVERYONE...
I did all that belt drive work to get a better intake port for the front cylinders...no distributor to get in the way.
an issue for me at least was the use of the as shown "mechanical dual distributor out drive" that ran to the rpm controller (along with the tach)... sometimes it would shut off one cylinder ALL the time, and this would hurt valves / etc...and backfires were common, when (then) good valvesprings became available, I relearned how to drive without letting off the right foot pedal and just yank on the handle...never needed a rev limiter after that...as said, and as can be attested by "ustahava67"..( one of my crew)...I often pulled the handle somewhere between 88 and 92 hunderd rpms.....

you have also commented on
...where THE RUST STARTS....

that color is common in the day,...some was from gasoline fuel additives...some color was from the wood insulator that many employed to help keep the fuel fumes from percolating inside the intake when we sat in the staging lanes.....
many of the plenum spacers were made out of wood.....
....YES IT WORKS....

I cannot read exactly what is written on the fuel bowls of the carbs....but same as with how many still do today, ...we write the jet sizes on them....

lots of history there in that p[icture.

you do not fully understand all the quap that had to be worked on over and over between rounds......!!!!!
and there was certainally NO internet information highway back then....
.... those that KNEW,...... did not tell...!!!!

I had no other mannor to learn except to take pictures with the "KoDak instamatic" and then wait a WEEK, for film to get developed and then study the details...

got a lot of help from "Dyno" ..."Howards" and "Gregg Foreman" and everything else from long learnin' time at cooks auto.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
yup,

just to be curious,..

...jim the original poster,...do you know who engine this is, or what car it is from or about what year.....????

most all of the good runners of the day all looked the same on the outside.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Kato why don't you post over on the network54 cleveland forum?

Nothing wrong with this forum just more cleveland activity over there

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
does that mean that I should not post HERE....??

maybe I should LEAVE...?

IF I was not here,

then who would tell you all about this old/original QUAP.....?????????

maybe I should not say,....

there are many qualified people over there and on other sites that are related to the cleveland engines........

a couple people even know me from "back then"......

those same do not post HERE,...and they do not need to.

fact is, EGOs be DAMMNED, if a couple of certain few do in fact post HERE, then I will stop posting because even though twenty five years have passed,... there still seems to be tension between some of us.
and there are a couple of others that only helped work on stuff, but are not really a machinist of any sort of qualified level even though one such person has been a front office seller of very high quality parts for a number of years,..has only "tales to tell" with an "outside" look/ view........knew all the same people as I...but actually never went on "tour" and ran his own car just occasionally....
a few years ago, I was posting "over there"...

that is the reason....

I have no issues with paul kane...

it is most of the "other" sites that there are issues...
some are mine,..and some are "theirs"...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ford Pro Stock MII

that engine is in a p/s Mustang II, cool car!, I love MII's...

glad people as your self post at corral kato, This site is better for all sorts of info, not just one sided bs. I had issues as others have too with the way that moron owner ran that 351c.unts sandbox/forum long before I even logged there so you are not alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one more picture

Kato love your write up on this motor . enjoy your information on the cleveland motor. know about of 3 or 4 peoples that are not on 54 forum any more. try to write on the forums a little bit. not the best at spelling and reading back over what i write. boss here car of the car its in Ohio at boss .com little old about 2 years ago. think roush build the car?

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
... I do not remember that car painted as it is shown....

because there were probably at total ..... 50 .....of them mustang II cars .

the photo shows the later accepted front fenders that were lengthened.

rules changed WEEKLEY as nhra seemed fit.
they made changes to give the chevy and mopar stuff advantages,

everyone played catchup.

seemed that Don Hardy in texas built a bunch of them.....
another I think was ZEEKER....??????
many of the west cost guys did a lot of their own partial frame work along with early builders such as willie rells / ron butler / and a bunch of others.( sory, old age has forgotten at this moment names of others ) ...I even did some various here and there additions to others work only because I learned to heli-arc at the age of 16....
believe it or not there were still some very competitive frames at the time that had occasional stick arc welding done to them...

locals out here in so calif that ran the ford stuff were,
lee hunter and his brother
dyno don nicholson...( who I occasionally worked with)
..jimmy stevens.. (who still runs bonneville and does drag race engines..and I still speak to often)
...and I cannot remember the two guys out from the far west valley area that also had the cleveland with the odd shaped intake manifold that had the pushrods " crossing" each other....

lots of old memories as a KID....
many years and other things have passed under that bridge....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kato, Keep posting here, you have an incredible amount of knowledge and I enjoy reading and learning from your posts. I do not post a lot but I check this board almost daily to see what I can learn from people like you.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
whatever you wanna know,....

......just ask

..as compared to most others that are only a ..."WANNABE" .....
I do not tell tales of what I did not do or do not know.....only first hand experience...

If I do not know, I will say so,...and not make up some story as others do.

and then,...I still have my own secrets.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Take a close look at the exhaust ports, see the plates? That my friends was "state of the art" back then! :) They would "whack" the exhaust side of the 4v head and plate it to get a better exhaust flow! Can you say "nascar illegal"! On the roundy round side of racing..... the Chevy boys were crying about these heads. They said it was an unfair advantage!

·
Registered
8 Posts
just ran across this thread. my dad and his best friend campaigned a stang ii pro stock car in div 7 in the mid to late seventies. we still have the car. it's a time capsul. just as it last ran. it is a hardy chassis dad built new. recently found out that it is a very small world. i live in texas about 3 hrs from where our car was built by hardy. and i just started doing some body and paint for mr. hardy. just finished 1 car and working on another as i type this. he is a super nice guy with a lot of neat stories. i'd post pictures but it says i am not allowed since i just joined the site. it was cool seeing glidden at indy. maybe he'll be able to help get the fords back competitive in nhra pro stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the frt end on the car in those picture would be made by hairy glass if i was to guess. the bumper is molded to the rest. our car has a different frt end. bumper is actually a separate part riveted to the frt end. i believe it is an a&a figerglass frt end. the dyno don car that sold on barrett jackson had the hairy glass frt end on it. it had been changed out at some point. that car was a twin to ours. i think they were sequintial serial numbers.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ford Pro Stock MII

Hi rastiss, glad you posted in this thread!. its Very interesting you guys ran a Clevor back then, did he use the SK XE-93532 9.2" deck windsor blocks?, I understand dyno don and animal jim also ran/used big 400+ci Clevor match race engines. I really got to wonder how many of these Clevors were being used back in the glory years, I wonder if glidden or hunter ever did?, sure would be neat to find more old Clevor details/info from back then. I first remember seeing one of these engines back in the early 80's at spokane raceway adra world finals, seemed exotic compared to the Clevor/Boss 302 back then, anyway thats a trick looking old school Clevor :drool:

> Ford Pro Stock Clevor <

also learned back then besides better oiling system, 9.2"/9.5" deck Windsor blocks actually had a better/perfect intake lifter bank angle for controlling the big 4V intake valves on canted valve Boss heads that helped high rpm control, Better! than even the Cleveland block it self

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts