Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
1976 Maverick
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I made a post about a 351w build, and now the tides have changed to a 306 for a Maverick 馃榿

I found all the parts, and now I'm ready for input

I want to build this car to be very streetable (decent gas mileage and turn-key go) with 1hp per c.i, that to the wheels would be nice but I wouldn't mind 310 at the crank

Now, time for the goodies. The engine is a rebuilt 302 bored to 306, currently has E7s and an E303 cam (sticking with E parts I guess), I want to upgrade to a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam and FloTek 185cc "Thumper" heads. Engine will be running a Holley Street Avenger 570, C4, undecided with gears (like to stay around 3:25). I want to keep my stock stall as well, sadly.

I'm hoping all this pans out well and makes a decent little engine that can move that maverick really good and burn some rubber at the will, but turn around and get decent mileage, I'd like to dub the project, "Oxymoron" 馃槀

Registered
it's a lot easier with up-to-date parts

afr 165 heads, around 10:1 or a little over compression, flowtech induction custom camshaft and a Eddy RPM intake. It'll get you there, a lot easier, and will meet your goals-and then some. Although, I think the C4 won't be very happy. Personally I'd go manual shift--IF possible. T5 or TKX will fit the tunnel pretty easily.

Had many a Maverick and have done exactly what you are wanting to do. Stick with the 302 based engine, it fits a lot better with a lot less headaches. If you want to go bigger (351w+) then you're in for a lot of fabrication work.

I'd personally LOVE to find me another Maverick (or Comet) and do exactly what you are doing. Old school 302, 5 speed, cruiser. I still have my 1975 Maverick but it's way beyond a cruiser and generally just sits except for the few times a year I trailer it to the drag strip. Over the years I think I've had about 30 of them in different stages; some complete cruisers, some rust buckets, a lot of 4 door cars, and a few wrecked ones that I salvaged a few parts from. I want another 2 door.

Registered
1976 Maverick
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's a lot easier with up-to-date parts afr 165 heads, around 10:1 or a little over compression, flowtech induction custom camshaft and a Eddy RPM intake. It'll get you there, a lot easier, and will meet your goals-and then some. Although, I think the C4 won't be very happy. Personally I'd go manual shift--IF possible. T5 or TKX will fit the tunnel pretty easily. Had many a Maverick and have done exactly what you are wanting to do. Stick with the 302 based engine, it fits a lot better with a lot less headaches. If you want to go bigger (351w+) then you're in for a lot of fabrication work. I'd personally LOVE to find me another Maverick (or Comet) and do exactly what you are doing. Old school 302, 5 speed, cruiser. I still have my 1975 Maverick but it's way beyond a cruiser and generally just sits except for the few times a year I trailer it to the drag strip. Over the years I think I've had about 30 of them in different stages; some complete cruisers, some rust buckets, a lot of 4 door cars, and a few wrecked ones that I salvaged a few parts from. I want another 2 door.
I would love to do a T5 swap and do AFR heads, but sadly my budget isn't big enough for that, which is bad considering what I want to do I knew a few people who ran Floteks and said they were actually pretty good, but I won't argue AFR has much better castings. I was looking at a plethora of cams and came to the decision a good off the shelf one for my app. Would be a TF S1. (It sucks having small pockets)

I've actually got two Mavericks. One is a rust bucket 74, and the one I'm building is a 76. I'd like to send off the 74, but I'm afraid no one would buy it 鈽 maybe it'd make a good stock car lol

Registered
Im not spending your $ but i'd leave it exactly like it is. The gains from that list will be minimal versus what you have now. Trust me, ive been there. Most of us have and regret cutting corners because of our budget.

Registered
I'm with flamedhatch ... run your stock stuff and save up for some TW 11r's

Buy once cry once has stood the test of time on this forum.
Post up the maverick though!! My friend has been building one for awhile and named his son Maverick.

Old timer
With aluminum heads, I would think you would be closer to 400 horsepower. A set of worked p heads should easily get you 350-360 horsepower.
400 HP? Really?

Registered
400 HP? Really?
you gotta remember.. this is guesstimated internet horsepower... kinda like the rainbow unicorn power...

these ppl are really clueless and a good dyno would prove that..

anyway... i'm sure ed would be glad to help... as i would also.. but your gonna have to get out of the kiddie sandbox and not listen to the interweb...

Registered
A gent I work with has a 70 Dart with a 360 in it and he did the math on how much HP it should make:

Air cleaner = Xhp
Valve Job = Xhp
Headers = Xhp
Edlebrock Carb = Xhp
Intake = Xhp
Cam = Xhp

Total = 400+hp to the tires...

Then he gets it on the dyno to have it tuned and was mad at the tuner b/c it only made 220HP..

ks

Old timer
Kev...

221.687 HP with the socket work.... :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
It all started with the AFR ads back when they first jumped into the small block Ford market. You couldn鈥檛 put a set of any AFR heads on a 302 and not make 400 hp according to the magazines. Then after a while West Tech made an apology that their dyno was out of calibration.

Registered
My buddy made 335 rwhp with the new trick flow 11r heads intake and a b cam, shorty headers, and full exhaust. Might be a b cam record. That is 390 flywheel with a baby cam. With an Ed Curtis cam, he would probably break 400!

Registered
I also have a friend that had a Maverick, but it was a 521 project of the prior owner. It went 106mph but only about 6.95 best in the 1/8 I think it was. My friend kept the 521, thinking of putting it in his stockish 69 F150 that had a 429 and top loader.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Registered
Ya know I remember of all of the many Mavericks I've owned, I never gave more than $200 for them. The current one was $50 and I drove it home. Only one didn't have a title; it was a parts car 4 door. Now look at what they bring. There's a 75 on FB, and it's local to me. 468" SBF, chassis car. They're asking $20k for it, and he says he's had a ton of interest in it. I saw it, didn't think it was worth $20k, but whatever. Engine was in a Falcon backhalf car that was crashed. It went 5.90's in the 1/8 in that car, never saw it run the Maverick though I'd think it outta be similar ET/MPH.

yes I'm fully aware of budgeting. Those that know me will agree. That struggle is real. Had a '74 Maverick, and I did a really really cheap turbocharged 302 in it. Fun little setup but it didn't last long. Neither did engine #2 and #3 and #4. Again they were throwed together with junkyard parts. Learned a lot.

Old timer
My buddy Glenn and I put together a Boss 302/Top loader combination when we were in college. A pretty tight fit!

R.I.P. Glenn

Registered
Holdener has a vid with the E303 and the generic 185 heads that everyone sells making 400HP. Same engine (marshall shortblock 306 with blueprint version of the ebay heads) in a different vid and his beloved 274 cam makes 417. As far as Floteks, An old article I think it was motortrend testing old heads, the flotek being one of them, with the E303 and it hit 375 I think. These are at the crank, I have no idea if you are talking about crank or RWHP. Anyway the Floteks make ok power, and they have smaller chambers than all aluminums except the 165's and the 11R's which you said you cannot afford, even so you would still be at your goal at the crank bolting them on stock with long tubes. Ported properly they would probably wake up even more, despite being a copy of the GT40X with smaller chambers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts