Bring lots of money....

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know a couple old timers that said they put 427 crank and rods in a 390 to make some power. I have no idea if they were serious or not
I had two 390's one solid lifter version with tri-power that came with the cast iron headers that would really go. also a 66 fairlane both were four speeds, the fairlane made some chevies and gto's really sad. In today's world stroked 351 make more sense ,even some parts for those are getting harder to find and afford.Good luck and have fun whatever you decide.:D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Don't underestimate a 390 FE. I've built several and they are torque monsters. I ran a set of poor man cobra jet heads (C6ae-r) with larger valves that had port and pocket work. FE blocks are stout and can be stroked fairly easy. Just look where GM placed the crank in the LS. You can thank Ford for that design with the crank cradled up into the block. With proper machining and oiling mods; they run forever. FE parts are no more expensive than any other engine and used parts are easily sourced. AS far as the Hi-Po 352 that came out in 1960; it made 360hp. There was a local guy who ran a FE in his Pinto. It was a street/strip car. I'd imagine one would fit in a mustang with a lot of work. I'll add that guys ran FE's in NASCAR at 9000rpm with the stock valvetrain. Check out this article. I've had work done by Blair and he knows how to make HP with FE's.
Blair Patrick

My 411 FE:
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Engineering

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Barry Rabotnick at survival motorsports used to mess with these and probably still does at a high-level. Bring you wallet!
Barry still does as well as Keith Craft, FE Specialties, Brent Lykins, Blair Patrick and on and on.

·
Old timer
6,565 Posts
FE blocks are stout and can be stroked fairly easy. Just look where GM placed the crank in the LS. You can thank Ford for that design with the crank cradled up into the block.
:LOL:

Guess you never saw a MOPAR with the deep skirt block?

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,760 Posts
I guess the biggest detractor for any FE block in a Fox body would be the weight penalty. They're stout engines and can make huge power, but would definitely adversely affect handling if that were a priority. If I were not running a small block I would probably aim for something newer like a 4.6 DOHC or Coyote and if hell bent on old school, would mod and inject a 351C-4V.

·
Old timer
6,565 Posts
Just loving those FE combinations. :love:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I guess the biggest detractor for any FE block in a Fox body would be the weight penalty. They're stout engines and can make huge power, but would definitely adversely affect handling if that were a priority. If I were not running a small block I would probably aim for something newer like a 4.6 DOHC or Coyote and if hell bent on old school, would mod and inject a 351C-4V.
Hey...nice to see you here Shaker. It's been a while.
I agree with the weight issue. I have a soft spot for the FE platform but I can relate to the attractiveness of a mod motor.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
392 Posts
D&D used to make a complete swap kit for that setup, I think they still do but only on an as ordered basis now...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts