Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
It will fit, but you are wasting money by putting it in.

The 390 fe motor was JUNK where performance is concerned. You'd do much better to take that 390 to a salvage yard and trade them for a 351w to build.

There are TONS of mustangs running around with 351w's in them, and there is a plethora of performance parts available for the 351w swap, but I will garuntee you there are NONE for the 390 swap.

You'd have to fabricate EVERYTHING to do it. (Or pay someone else to!)

Do yourself a favor and go with the windsor. You'll be alot happier!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I looked into it about a year ago, its not worth it. Those motors dont have many parts avialable, and if they do they are very expensive. Not to mention that they weigh a TON!

·
Registered
123 Posts
It would be expensive but can't you make a 428 out of a 390? That would not only be unique but ol 428 mustangs hauled. Really I remeber a 68 GT with a 390 and 4 speed in town that really went. Personally a 460 or 351 conversion is more common and swap parts are plenty but if you can fabricate your own stuff it would be fun to do a swap like that over a winter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've heard that a oil pan for a 4wd truck could be used to swap an FE engine in a fox body but unfortunately, even if it did work, no one makes the headers or engine mounts for it. Engine mounts wouldn't be that big a deal to make work but the headers are a different story. Besides, a 428 would be a MUCH better choice if it this type of swap were practical.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As for the swap with the junkyard, There are no guaruntees, but if you never ask... ;)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Raceallday said:
I've heard that a oil pan for a 4wd truck could be used to swap an FE engine in a fox body but unfortunately, even if it did work, no one makes the headers or engine mounts for it. Engine mounts wouldn't be that big a deal to make work but the headers are a different story. Besides, a 428 would be a MUCH better choice if it this type of swap were practical.
Actually,Hedman Hedders make FE into a Fox headers,these are full length headers.

I always thought the oilpan would be a pain,but if a 4WD truck pan fits(a van pan might fit),and Headman stocks the headers.Run an engine plate or weld some diamond plate steel to the frame and use the FE mounts.

I do know a 428 crank inti a 360/390 will make a 410,assuming stock bores.

·
Registered
885 Posts
heres a fox with a 428...

ooh, a 410 merc motor, id love to have one in my zephyr....

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I wouldn't call a 390 junk

they have potential. It's just expensive to make anything out of one. Most were under 200hp stock. There were a few exceptions (335 hp I think?)-4 speed Fairlane? I do not remember.

I think they can be bored/stroked to 446" and that is about the max. With GOOD heads and forced induction, I would imagine 1000hp wouldn't be out of the question, IF you can keep it together. Most FE blocks are not known for strength.

Craft Performance in Arkansas has done a bunch of them. Again it takes money. Lots of it. Probably more of it than it takes to build a decent Mopar RB engine which isn't cheap either. Especially now.

One thing about a well built FE, is that they have a sound all their own. There is no mistaking one. Probably one of the better sounding old school V8's ever in my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't call a 390 junk

they have potential. It's just expensive to make anything out of one. Most were under 200hp stock. There were a few exceptions (335 hp I think?)-4 speed Fairlane? I do not remember.

I think they can be bored/stroked to 446" and that is about the max. With GOOD heads and forced induction, I would imagine 1000hp wouldn't be out of the question, IF you can keep it together. Most FE blocks are not known for strength.

Craft Performance in Arkansas has done a bunch of them. Again it takes money. Lots of it. Probably more of it than it takes to build a decent Mopar RB engine which isn't cheap either. Especially now.

One thing about a well built FE, is that they have a sound all their own. There is no mistaking one. Probably one of the better sounding old school V8's ever in my opinion.
A lot more fun than a 5.0.ive had lots of mustangs capris and zephyrs the fe was and is my fav

1 - 20 of 47 Posts