Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have steeda sport springs installed in my GT. I removed the bottom spring isolators to get the car a little lower. Well, tell me if this is happening to you. when i drive and hit a divide in the road (like a split between two pieces of pavement) the car hits really hard! BOOM! i feel like the thing is gonna fall apart. my buddy has eibach springs on his cobra, and he says his only bottoms out in the back sometimes. mine, on the other hand, bottoms out in the front.

is this normal? if so, can i correct it with new shocks/struts?

gino

·
Registered
998 Posts
Your shocks aren't stiff enough to prevent bottoming out with the reduced ride height. Get some new shocks and it won't happen.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Shocks would probably be helpful, but my 2k Gt with sport springs does not bottom out in the front like you're describing. I do have the isolators in place, though.

The rear bottoms out easier, but I also have the stock bump stop in place.

·
Registered
516 Posts
00ZincVert said:
Shocks would probably be helpful, but my 2k Gt with sport springs does not bottom out in the front like you're describing. I do have the isolators in place, though.

The rear bottoms out easier, but I also have the stock bump stop in place.
Didn't a bump stop come with your springs? If not, either file the stock or get shorter one.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm also riding on some pretty rough roads. baltimore, you know. anyway, the steeda springs do not come with bump stops. shocks it is!
gino

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would purchace an aftermarket pinion snubber and replace the shocks. I bet there is almost no clearance there now. I'd also put those isolators back.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It's your shocks. They are not suited for those springs. I have Tokicos 5-Way adjustables and I have never bottomed out, even on the softest setting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the steeda sports and Tokiko 5-ways also, I also have never bottomed them out. I kept my spring isolators in.

I'm not sure if your car is bottoming out. Is the car bouncing down over those splits? Is the car bouncing excessively like the shocks are shot?

I had a loose strut bolt once and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope, no bouncing. it's just weird. like i said, though, the roads here are really bad, so maybe they took a couple of thousand miles of the stock struts already. car only has 29k on it. well, keep the suggestions coming!
gino

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get the camber caster plates to get you extra travel. 2nd put the isolator back on, you'll enjoy the ride better, it will make less noise and it should help with your bottoming out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts