Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious I dont have mine hooked up, What would be the reason to hook it up?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
i have gotten rid of my emissions stuff ie smog pump and cats....my egr is still hooked up. how do u unhook it and does it have any advantage??

·
Banned
3,819 Posts
unhooking the egr can and will cause a lean condition at part throttle unless you have the egr functions disabled in the ECU with a custom chip/eec tuner etc.

leave her pluged in

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really? Mine is not hooked up..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Why disconnect or unplugged??? EGR valve does not work when you are at WOT. Yes BlkGT is correct, about the EGR function on cruise / part throttle.
Actually EGR does helps in some way, they can reduce pinging noise, because EGR reduce combustion chamber temperature and at same time reduced NOX emission.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question, but...

if EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculator, then if the smog pump, emissions equipment, and cats are removed, where is this valve going to get exhaust gases? If there aren't any exhaust gases to utilize, then why have it hooked up? If you leave it hooked up, then all you are doing is "fooling" the computer...or are you? My "check engine" light is not on.

Am I missing something, here?

I would like to know, because I am in the same boat. I have my EGR lying on the workbench right now, but made an aluminum block-off plate to cover the EGR hole.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Ditch it

Done it on a few, and just recently had a friend do it on his. We traced allt he wires back for it and totally removed all that junk. Your car will run fine without it! Looks alot cleaner under the hood too!

Kyle

·
Registered
94 Posts
The exhaust ports inside the intake are still open, yes? Then you have exhaust gases to the EGR valve...The smog pump and other valving provides air to the cats and the exhaust stream for emission purposes....The only way to stop the exhaust gases to the valve on the 86-93 engine is to block off the passes either in the lower intake or upper intake...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am running non-emissions versions of the AFR 165's. I don't recall seeing any ports where exhaust gases could get into the intake in the first place. But, I guess for those who run emissions heads, then the EGR might be of use.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I am confused on this as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts