Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
US Air Force Active Duty
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered one today from Summit, since I am ready to drop kick my Griffin Universal (long story!). I decided to go with the FMS one since the stock fan shroud should bolt up to it (it won't on my dumb Griffin) and I shouldn't have any clearance problems (hopefully). I've been fighting cooling demons for the past 2 years, well I figured if I throw enough money (and time) at it hopefully I can cure this.
This July when I come home on leave I will tear apart my top end to replace head gaskets (thinking of trying those ROL ones) and swap my cam for an F-303 and some new rockers. I'll be installing a police clutch fan with stock shroud & overflow, Edelbrock water pump, the FMS Aluminum radiator, FMS silicone hoses, FMS Police heater core restrictor, new '93 Cobra water pump pulley, new 180-degree high flow thermostat, new radiator cap, 70% distilled water/30% anti-freeze & Redline Water Wetter, and to top it all off a Summit Oil Cooler. If the car still runs hot after this I may shoot myself!
The only reason I can really think of for it running so hot now is the possibility of one of the head gaskets being on wrong...I had my heads installed by someone else since I was too busy with a work related upgrade school that week to do them myself. I had no problems with my old ported stock heads and running hot, I was only using a Pep-Boys 3 core radiator and an Autozone 16" electric fan (constant on) but when I had the new Edelbrock Performer 6037 heads installed my cooling system was not up to task. I upgraded to the Universal Griffin radiator that Summit sells, and a much larger and powerful electric fan, but it only helped a little, and didn't keep the car from overheating on hot days, or in slow stop & go traffic with the A/C on. I'm hoping that by basically replacing EVERYTHING again, I will solve this problem!

So who has one of the FMS radiators and how do you like the fit/operation?

·
US Air Force Active Duty
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

?

·
US Coast Guard Active Duty
128 Posts
I put one in after my stock one gave up the goast. Had to fabricate a liitle. Had to trim a 2x3 inch piece of the shroud, and bend the rad. barcakets a little. All in all not a bad set up. Cool as Ice.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I like mine, although they seem to take a lot of **** on this board. I let my car idle for 5-10 minutes in 90*+ heat with the AC on and a Vortech under the hood and I never saw the high side of 185 (autometer).

You have to do a little work to the top mounting brackets and cut off 2 plastic "posts" that are in the way, but it isn't bad and works great once its in there.

Don't feel bad, I have a friend that installed one of the Mustang specific fluidynes or Griffins and he had to do more work than I did. Plus it cost him almost twice as much.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

1/4MIJUNKIE-could you please describe what exactly you had to trim?

GaryJ-what plastic posts are you referring to? Ones on the FMS radiator, or something on the shroud?

I'm trying to get "all of my ducks in a row" so I will know what to expect once I get back home to do the work. Thanks for your replies!

·
US Coast Guard Active Duty
128 Posts
On the center of the fan shroud there is a piece where it indents inward maybe 1/8 of a inch. Its is justa piece about 3-4" long.

On the rad. brackets up top I had to trim the rubber mounts where they fold over the back of the rad. And the brackets themselves I had to bend out a little and bend them back to hold the rad. in.

The metal clips that the screws for the shroud go into I had to bend then out at the bottom to get them to slide all the way down.

It sounds like alot but it's really not that bad. Just a couple of minor mods. Patience s the key.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad

I'll probably mock it up outside the car first to check clearances.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I didn't have to modify my shroud (89) in any way.

The posts are cast into the end tanks on the radiator that are for use in whatever vehicle that radiator was originally intended for. THey stick up a couple inces maybe. You get instructions with the radiator that tell you to remove them. Nothing you can't quickly fix with a dremel.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My cooling consists of: 180* stat, Edelbrock Victor pump, Steeda Underdrive pullies, and the FMS radiator. Nice and steady at 182* by the Autometer. Although it does climbe to about 187* or so. :rolleyes:

To get mine in I had to modify the radiator brackets on top. Just had to re-bend them.

Only problem I have had is the drain plug snaped off when I went to drain the fluid, so now I just pull the lower hose. Win some ya lose some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.