Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on my car this weekend and noticed that the lower half of the flywheel is showing. I have a Temec 3550 transmission. Is this normal? If not what do I need to close this up? It looks like there are mounting threads on the trans for something....

Here is a pic..

Thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
looks like someone got half assed putting the car together eh;)
well, your missing the thin sheet metal plate that goes between the bellhousing and block, hence the reason you can see that bolt hole on the bottom of the bellhousing. i have a TR3550, and i do have that metal plate there. to put it on, your flywheel is going to have to come off, so is your clutch, you must remove the clutch to get to the flywheel, i made the mistake of putting the flywheel and clutch on, and had to take them both back off to put the plate on, luckily the engine was out, i had the plate, just forgot about it. in my opinion YES you need it, dirt and grime, and whatever may come off the road will get up there and hurt your clutch and flywheel.

Good luck, im sure its not going to be fun to do with the engine in the car, im sure you can pick the plate up from a ford dealership, i dont know what the name of the plate is though

·
Registered
885 Posts
if a shop put it in there for you, take it back and tell them to finish the job

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I would definitely get that covered up.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
yes that is important yoru clutch is supposed to be free of grime and road debris also when wet from road water, it is called the engine plate I think and they are different from auto's to sticks, what happened was whoever did the tranny probably had the clutch and flywheel on and realized they forgot that peice so they said forget it because they didnt wanna take it apart. I would definatley install it.:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts