Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to get some ideas for a good clutch and flywheel combo for my car. It's a 98 Cobra which will have a few power mods along the way, nothing like a blower or any other serious power adder. It's a street car that will go to the track on occassion and run on drag radials. I'm just wondering about everything I'll need to get to do the install, and what size clutch and flywheel would be best for my car.
Thnxs

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I just went through the same delima. I ended up keeping my stock flywheel and had it resurfaced and added a Spec Stage III CF clutch combo. 10.5" clutch It grabs hard. I cannot make it slip. It is a bit much for the street. But since I will be spraying it on slicks i wanted somtheing that would not slip. I think you would be fine with the Stage II kit. It is like stock. The kit comes with Pressur Plate, Clutch disk, and throw out bearing.

Also you may want to go ahead and add a quadrent and firewall adjuster. I went with UPR. Dont wast your money like I did. Just keep your stock cable. Works great! I put 60 miles and made 1 pass with a upr cable cable and it broke. Its a POS IMHO! I really like the upr firewall adjuster. But it was a toss up between steeda and UPR. Both are nice.

Since you have your tranny off you may also want to add a AL drive shaft. I went ahead and put a drive shaft loop on mine also due to slicks.

resurface flywheel = $ 40
spec stage 2 clutch kit = $ 279
AL drive shaft = $ 159
Drive Shaft loop = $ 30
Quadrent & Fire wall adj = $ 69

great set up for the strip and mild stip use IMHO.

also while you have the flywheel off getting resurfaced you may want to replace the pilot bearing. Mine was shot and for 20$ it was good piece of mind! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I went with the Spec Stage II clutch and pressure plate with my stock flywheel due to the conversation that I had with Spec's technician. So far, so good.

I kept the stock clutch cable and setup and that was a mistake. After the break-in period I began to dump the clutch from a dead stop on the street and ran it through the gears to see how it felt. It shifted great. But, bolting the slicks on and taking it to the strip was another matter. The car had over 600 dragstrip passes on it and when the slicks bit it changed the clutch travel considerably from gear to gear on EACH pass. Result: raking gears. This was because my cable had stretched and did not show it until the slicks put the added pressure on it. Put a Steeda cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant on it and it solved the problem. Also, this helped the clutch pedal feel tremendously. The Stage II clutch and pp actually has less pedal resistance than the stocker. With the Steeda setup it firmed up the pedal to where it is just right. I would highly recommend the Steeda setup to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1998_Cobra said:
I'm just trying to get some ideas for a good clutch and flywheel combo for my car. It's a 98 Cobra which will have a few power mods along the way, nothing like a blower or any other serious power adder. It's a street car that will go to the track on occassion and run on drag radials. I'm just wondering about everything I'll need to get to do the install, and what size clutch and flywheel would be best for my car.
Thnxs
I went with stock flywheel and a Mcleod Kevlar clutch that's good for 650hp, western motorsports say they only use Mcleod on the high horse cars, i will be blown here in the next month so i am anticipating around 415-440hp at the wheels...

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I did the same thing as JohnnyReb...had the stock flywheel turned and went with at Spec stage II....I'm also going to need an aftermarket clutch quadrant and cable...my clutch pedal vibrates and I've read that fixes it...

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Went with the mcleod Single plate with Aluminum flywheel. Grabs pretty hard. Deffinitly a great clutch, the spec's have also been pretty good too.
Past 650HP I would recommend a mcleod double disk clutch. That baby kicks butt.

mcleod Single Plate:

Dual plate:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts