Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Fluidyne make a radiator for my 1998 Cobra (p/n ???) and where would be a good mail order place to get it from?

Another question, would the Steeda UltraCool Radiator be a better choice? I can get one of those for $369 from Steeda.

Thanks...

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
that is the correct part number if you have a stick. got mine ordered from Summit ($420) but they are back ordered for a few more weeks.

both the steeda and fluidyne are bolt in replacements. fluidyne is all brazed aluminum (no epoxy joints). thats why i went with their's.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Drew00GTsc said:
that is the correct part number if you have a stick. got mine ordered from Summit ($420) but they are back ordered for a few more weeks.

both the steeda and fluidyne are bolt in replacements. fluidyne is all brazed aluminum (no epoxy joints). thats why i went with their's.
I see you are s/c so I'll pose another question for you...

I am planning to get my blower put in next week (before the Summit backorder would be over). I do not want to wait to have it put in just for the radiator, and I think I'll be OK as far as heat until then. I believe the radiator install is pretty easily done, but will it still be straightforward after the blower goes on, or is it something I would be best served to install along with the blower???

·
Registered
84 Posts
beats me. sorry I cant help. I have had the blower on for almost 2 yrs. just doing the radiator now. i think it would be easier to do it all at the same time but then again i wouldnt wait...:lol:

you have to drain a gallon or so to do the blower install (at least vortechs). for the radiator, you will have to drain the whole thing. the radiator should drop right in witht he blower in place. some of the tubing will have to be removed but that is pretty easy.

if you are talking about an ATI or another with an a-a intercooler, i would wait. that is going to be a pain.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drew00GTsc said:
beats me. sorry I cant help. I have had the blower on for almost 2 yrs. just doing the radiator now. i think it would be easier to do it all at the same time but then again i wouldnt wait...:lol:

you have to drain a gallon or so to do the blower install (at least vortechs). for the radiator, you will have to drain the whole thing. the radiator should drop right in witht he blower in place. some of the tubing will have to be removed but that is pretty easy.

if you are talking about an ATI or another with an a-a intercooler, i would wait. that is going to be a pain.
No, it's an aftercooled S-Trim. I was thinking along your lines, that it would be a bit easier, but I'm not waiting until mid June for the blower. :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm quite happy with my Fluidyne. Its actually quite a show-piece. All nice and shiny. Instal should be easy with either unit. Unless you have intercooler tubing like mine. Good luck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm sure the Fluidyne is just as well made, but I opted for the Steeda radiator when I installed mine. I think Steeda was running a special at the time and I bought it for $379. It was mostly a convenience choice for me (living close to Steeda I just picked it up). I think either way, you'll be happy. Since you have a 98, you weren't faced with the cooling issues we were with the 96 model. I know my car ran considerably cooler after swapping the radiators.

The only other point I would like to make is that you may run into the same problem as I regarding the Vortech. Because the aftermarket radiator (about double the thickness) extends further out than the stock unit, I had a problem with the fan shroud (which mounts on the rear of the radiator) binding up against the tube which feeds into the blower. We removed the thick rubber mounting gaskets supporting the posts at the base of the radiator (to lower the unit a little). Then, with a little muscle and after cutting a small portion of one of the brackets, we managed to make everything fit. If you are interested, I'd be happy to snap a picture of the area I'm referring to (and email it to you).

Good luck,
Brian

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't have a Cobra, but I don't think a radiator install on a SC'd car is a drop in. I had to remove the inlet tubing, loosen the blower to get it out of the way, remove the battery (and tray). That finally gave me enough room to jimmy the new radiator in. Like MystCobra965, I had to trim the upper radiator bracket to clear the blower inlet tubing.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Pull & Drew,

You've got mail! :)

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts