Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put exhaust on my 97 GT convertible. I bought an X-pipe for it but would like to know peoples views on mufflers. I wanted the magnaflows but heard they sounded bad with off road X-pipes. I think I'm just going to go with flowmasters but want to know some opinions on which ones. Should I buy 2 chamber or 3 chamber mufflers. I want it to sound good but i don't want the drone that makes your ears ring when you drive.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm running the 50 series; also know as the 3-chamber style. This is due to the fact that I don't like my exhaust to be to loud, however at WOT it sounds great, I'm running a pro-chamber and long tube headers.

I hope that helps some how... Good luck to you!

C U L8R,
Kyle

·
Registered
21 Posts
the flowmasters sound awful with an o/r x. I have this setup on my car but the flowmasters are coming off and dynomax is going on. You will probably not be happy with the flowmasters but I have heard that they sound good with an o/r h. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Had the 2chambers with a catted x and I liked the sound. But with that said, I like the magnapack sound better and I can feel a little sotp meter increase I believe. Either way, its not going to make a big hp difference. People run 12's N/A with the flows. So whatever sound you like best. There are alot of sound files floating around and someone has a library of them.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Get 3'' one chambers with no turndowns or tailpipes with the offroad X-pipe.I think it sounds pretty freakin good

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exhaust

any other opinions or suggestions? What about these new dynamax ultraflows?

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I was at the El Toro Pro Solo National Tour I had several people come up to me and tell me I had *the* best sounding car there!! I'm running 2 Chamber flows with a Hedman X-stream o/r X pipe.

There have been many people other places that say they like the way the car sounds, but when I was told this by guys that race at national level, and tour the states for events, I took it as a great compliment!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
351stang,

I have a 2001 GT convertible with the stock exhaust manifold, stock H pipe, flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers and stock tailpipes. In general I think it sounds pretty good. In fact I too have gotten a lot of compliments on the sound. But, the mufflers do drone at highway speeds, especially with a convertible. If you drive your car at highway speeds for a prolonged amount of time you might want to consider a quieter setup. I, myself will be changing to long tube headers, X pipe with cats, and magnaflows. I want the flow of the headers, X pipe, and cat back, but I want a quieter ride. I want to be able to hear people talking to me while driving on the freeway. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
01blownGT said:
351stang,

I, myself will be changing to long tube headers, X pipe with cats, and magnaflows. I want the flow of the headers, X pipe, and cat back, but I want a quieter ride. I want to be able to hear people talking to me while driving on the freeway. :D
01 BlownGT!

I too love the way my car sounds, but would like to drop the "freeway drone" You are close - in Granada Hills and I'm in Santa Clarita! I think I've seen your car around! I commute to Chatsworth daily.

I would love the opportunity to come down and hear your car once you have the Magnaflows & long tubes on. and BTW...who's long tubes are you going to use?

Thx!

Vicky

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Re: exhaust

351stang said:
any other opinions or suggestions? What about these new dynamax ultraflows?
I've got SS Ultraflows with a SS VRS catted X. Sounds great. Not too loud at idle, but makes some good sounds at WOT.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Vicky,

Honestly, I have not settled on a set of long tubes just yet. I really want one with a 3 inch collector, but I don't know who makes one. All the ones I have seen have a 2 1/2 inch collector. I just put on a smaller pulley and am going to be adding an intercooler next week along with a new MAF. With these mods and another trip to Swanson performance for a new tune, I should see 450 HP at the wheels (I hope). With that I want a 3 inch exhaust from the collector all the way back and out the tailpipes. As soon as I put on the exhaust I will let you know. I am at LACR almost every weekend, In fact I will probably be there this Friday if you want to hear a before and after type thing.

Derrick

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
01blownGT said:
With these mods and another trip to Swanson performance for a new tune, I should see 450 HP at the wheels (I hope). With that I want a 3 inch exhaust from the collector all the way back and out the tailpipes.
FYI...there are people on this forum that are putting out 400+HP through the stock exhaust with no loss of power (minimal to no change when the exhaust was changed). IMO, you don't need to find 3" collectors if it's for a loss-of-power concern. The 2.5" seem like they should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Keith,

Are you saying this from personal experience? Do you have over 400 HP to the rear wheels with a STOCK exhaust??? I honestly don't know anyone pulling off this trick. For that amount of horsepower, conventional thinking suggests long tubes with a 5/8 primary and a 3-inch collector. And I really don't see a downside to a full exhaust. So when you say that people have over 400 HP on a stock exhaust I have to wonder what they would have with an aftermarket exhaust. The truth is the tuning of the car will allow you to take advantage of the exhaust. Simply bolting one on might not net you a lot more horsepower, but it will allow you to add more timing to the top end which will create a lot more horsepower. Again ALL IN THE TUNING! :joy:

Derrick

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
01blownGT said:
Keith,

Are you saying this from personal experience? Do you have over 400 HP to the rear wheels with a STOCK exhaust??? I honestly don't know anyone pulling off this trick. For that amount of horsepower, conventional thinking suggests long tubes with a 5/8 primary and a 3-inch collector. And I really don't see a downside to a full exhaust. So when you say that people have over 400 HP on a stock exhaust I have to wonder what they would have with an aftermarket exhaust. The truth is the tuning of the car will allow you to take advantage of the exhaust. Simply bolting one on might not net you a lot more horsepower, but it will allow you to add more timing to the top end which will create a lot more horsepower. Again ALL IN THE TUNING! :joy:

Derrick
I have personally experienced reading a thread a few weeks ago concerning what I wrote. No, my car doesn't put out 400+HP. And the IMO = in my opinion, and that opinion was based on the experience of Ralph Greene (found it, finally! ---> http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99583&highlight=stock+exhaust ). And now that I've found the original post, I stand (or sit) corrected. He had a 2.5" Borla system, not the stock 2.25". All I'm saying is there are people running 400+HP through the currently available longtubes and making great power. *I* wouldn't let the fact that it is difficult to find a 3" header collector slow me down in the pursuit of power.

·
Registered
326 Posts
01blownGT said:
Vicky,

Honestly, I have not settled on a set of long tubes just yet. I really want one with a 3 inch collector, but I don't know who makes one. All the ones I have seen have a 2 1/2 inch collector. I just put on a smaller pulley and am going to be adding an intercooler next week along with a new MAF. With these mods and another trip to Swanson performance for a new tune, I should see 450 HP at the wheels (I hope). With that I want a 3 inch exhaust from the collector all the way back and out the tailpipes. As soon as I put on the exhaust I will let you know. I am at LACR almost every weekend, In fact I will probably be there this Friday if you want to hear a before and after type thing.

Derrick
My SHM/Hooker LT's have a 3" collector FYI

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Keith,

The only thing slowing me down in the pursuit of power is $money$. Waiting for the right parts is part of the game when your car is only a year old. If you didn't notice in my earlier post, I am in the middle of making more changes to make even more power. I don't wait for other people to try everything before I do. It's kind of weird that you are upset that I want a 3-inch collector. It sounds like you take offense to that fact. I didn't say you have to do what I am doing or that your setup was bad or wrong. I was just stating what *I* was looking for. I am grateful for your concern of my pursuit of power :rolleyes:.

NC_35thPony,

How much did your hooker headers cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Derrick

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
01blownGT said:
It's kind of weird that you are upset that I want a 3-inch collector. It sounds like you take offense to that fact. I didn't say you have to do what I am doing or that your setup was bad or wrong. I was just stating what *I* was looking for. I am grateful for your concern of my pursuit of power :rolleyes:.
Derrick,
I'm not upset in the least. The forums really don't show tone well, do they :confused: ? I am the last person to tell a person what he/she should put on his/her car. I was simply stating that there are options that will work. If you've got time, by all means, wait for what YOU want. It's your car, right? And I hope I didn't imply I wanted you to do what I was doing, because you're already off course ;) . I'm staying N/A, and you're talking about a blower :D ! At any rate, I meant nothing negative. I was simply sharing some pertinent (so I thought anyway) info I picked up while browsing the forums. Good luck, and play the lottery to help with the money part of the equation.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I paid $650 shipped to my door for ceramic coated ones, but you can get the high temp black painted ones for about $450. The are by far the highest quality long tubes I have seen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts