Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am putting a roller motor out of a mustang in my brothers 80 pickup,can i swap flex plate an balancer over and be ok or do I have to buy 50oz flex plate?
Thanks,Bo

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I don't think so. The cranks are weighted differently internally, so they need different weighted balancers and flexplates.

Put a 50oz flexplate on it. One off an AOD will probably work, depending on the transmission bellhousing size.

Does the truck have a C4?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it has a c4. I was thinking an aod flexplate would work but just needed someone to confirm it.
Thanks,Bo

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The AOD flexplate will work, cause there were never any small bell C4 trucks that I know of.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for you help.I did a search and some people said it would pull the converter out of the tranny.I'am going try it and find out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put an '86 5.0 in a buddies '83 F150 a couple of weeks ago. The 50 oz. AOD flex plate worked fine.
I left all the serpentine equip on the front of the engine, just removed the smog pump and A/C. You might need to get a new belt, and if the engine you have has A/C and you won't be using it, you might have to get the P/S bracket off a non-A/C car to use the tensioner, or I cut the slotted piece off of an old alt tensioner for V-belts, and drilled a hole in it. I unbolted the top of the alternator on the '86 engine, bolted through the hole I drilled in the slotted piece to the bracket, came up with a spacer, and bolted through the slotted end to the top of the alternator. This allowed me to get rid of the spring tensioner, and use the original air conditioner/powersteering bracket, otherwise the spring tensioner could've rubbed the belt together on the water pump. I also put in an electric fan because of where the water pump located the clutch fan.
Click the search button below, I've written about this before.
BTW unless the C-4 has stand offs stamped into the flex-plate, I don't see how the AOD flex-plate is going to pull the torque converter out of the transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts