Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1979 Ford Racing Crate engine with a AODE-4r70W.

There are two cooler lines that come out the right side of the tranny and one of them is leaking pretty good. I've tightened the fitting but it still drips. What part and/or source do I need to fix this issue? I'd like to get the parts before I pull it all out. Is this a universal part? Is it a seal, o-ring...?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
What car did those fittings come from? I'm used to simple flare nut fittings on the many AOD and 4R70W's I've owned.

Those look like the older Ford radiator ATF fittings, which were very prone to leaking, because the line isn't rigidly attached. They are basically made to allow movement at the connection, supposedly to allow flexing of the lines to reduce stress. That connection you have there is terrible for the radiator fittings, most people hate them and will tell you that. The answer for the radiator fittings is to remove and replace them with common flare nut fittings.

That does require altering the lines though. You have one modified there already, with compression fittings, and those too are slightly prone to leaking. The flare nut fittings come on all parts store fuel lines, the long straight ones of varied lengths.

I would suggest checking out your local stores to see what lengths they have. Those steel lines are ideal if the lengths available are usable for the application, or if you are good with cutting and flaring the ends. Flexible lines are great too for high end projects etc, but that's over board for most vehicles.

I've plumbed an entire car with the steel lines for ATF, no rubber hoses, with a large oil cooler, a work vehicle that went 335k miles before being wrecked.

Those steel lines with flare nut fittings, they need an o-ring placed inside the female fitting end. That will stop any leaks, without the o-rings they often won't seal well.

·
Registered
898 Posts
When you do locate the correct fittings, you might want do some bending on the lines so the connections are not so side loaded.....which is probably the root of your problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a lot of different info and terminology I'm familiar with but not an expert on. So you're saying I should replace the fittings that are screwed into the transmission with something else, AN6? 1/4 or 3/8? What exactly is the fitting called, the male one that is leaking on my transmission, the one that threads into the tranny?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The better and common fitting on Ford transmissions is an inverted flare fitting, 3/8" line size. The trans side male end will be a NPT, 1/4 size I think. Online searching uses different terms to find them, may come up as an adapter for 3/8" tubing;
That is what they look like on the 90's Ford transmissions I'm familiar with and on earlier AOD's. The OEM adapter was steel, the brass would work too, it's just a softer metal.

You can work at duplicating that fitting you have, but the problem is inherent, it will happen again. It may be another 10-20 years, but there's a reason people don't reuse those on the radiator like that one. The one people know well on the radiator of older Fords was longer than that one, but the design is the same, you can tell by the plastic part which is partly coming out of that fitting. I don't have any pictures of that fitting type, but older threads would have many of those that were on the radiators, I'll guess it was most common in 1980's Fords.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I get it now. I need to find some time when I'm not driving it (tomorrow) and take that crap fitting off and swap it out.
Wonder if I should just get this kit and do away with that hard line altogether?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts