Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating using a can of the "Engine Restore" (in the silver can at walmart) as a last ditch effort for my smoke problem.

Has anyone tried this? At this point, is there anything I could hurt by trying it?

This stuff claims to "re-condition seals, fill in scratches in cylinder walls thus improving compression, and eliminating oil consumption."

Is there a different brand of this "stuff" that would work better?

Just trying to get some brainstorming ideas. I would like to help find a fix for those of us that have this problem and I am willing to be a guinea pig if it will help.

·
Registered
960 Posts
How long have you had your longtubes? What brand are they? When were they last installed?

thanks

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BBK Longtubes installed over 1yr ago. Car has smoked since about 1 week after I installed them.

I cleaned the heck out of them, but I hooked up the EGR fittings during the install and they have been connected from the very beginning.

I have plugged PCV valve and capped the intake fitting with a rubber plug. Still the same smoking problem.

I started having trouble with the car bucking under load, so I removed the Densecharger powerpipe and put the stocker back on. This helped the bucking, but it is now coming back. I doubt the 2 problems are related(bucking and oil burning).

I have tried:
1. Switching inlet pipes = stock pipe seemed to make smoking worse
2. Switching from Mobil 1 Syn to Valvoline High Mileage = No change in oil burning
3. Added No Smoke = reduction in visible smoke, but I can still smell it whenever I come to a stop.

I have asked tons of friends and none of them are sure what the problem is and why LT's would cause it.

Do you think the "Engine Restore" is worth a shot? What could it possibly hurt?

·
Registered
179 Posts
it wont hurt, but you may need to try adding several cans over time. I put one in my friends 99 to try it but only one, i should have put in some more every few weeks to see if it helped. I will get back on that and try it and we can see if we get any results.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Shouldve got some Macs....since we all know it's only Mac LT's that do this:)
On a serious note, there's not much you can do other than a probable rebuild, but my dad used that engine restorer crap in an old car of his and it seemed to do what it claims.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My friends car has the MACS......yay friggen POS. they killed his motor and now all the welds in the pass side collector are all broken so it sounds like a 1976 monte carlo with a blown donut gasket. No one will even attempt to fix it either. So, he would have to buy new headers and have them installed again. Sweet

·
Registered
179 Posts
Most of the time just when you come to a stop after driving , it comes puffing out and at WOT. It sucks and is embarrassing. Again this is my friends 99 with MAC LT's.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The engine restorer products usually look like honey. They are super thick and viscous. Very slow pouring.

The Cobra takes what, 5w-30 oil? The restorer will probably thicken the oil beyond the viscosity spec the engineers were looking for, but at this point it may not matter to you.

To fix this right you will have to get into the motor and get the cylinders rebored. I think the restorer will help the smoking but could cause a problem with the oil pump and/or getting oil to the bearings and valve train.

What about experimenting with 1/2 can, or trying a thicker oil without the additive?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Actually "Engine Restore" is thin and blue. It would not cause any oil pump problems. The only thing i wonder about is whether or not it is actually effective and how many times i would have to put it in. I am going to try like once a week and see if it has any effect. i will post any results.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rconnjr --- Please do. I am seriously thinking this might be the "fix" or partial fix that we have been hunting for. I am sure that a rebuild is the only real way to solve the problem, but if it can be minimized for an extra $7 every oil change or every other change, then bring on the cans of Restore!!

I look forward to seeing your results. I wonder if the engine should be "flushed" prior to trying the Restore? I saw a can of engine flush next to the restore at Autozone, but the Restore didn't mention anything about using the products in tandem.

At any rate, keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
get the motor reverse flushed, then use regular dino oil. Add some restore with your oil changes after about 1000 miles after the reverse flush.

your leak down numbers should improve and ur oil consumption should be reduced.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in the middle of nowhere. No one around here knows what "reverse flush" means. The best I can do is buy a can of the engine flush and go that route.

Anyone else tried the engine restore?? Does this sound like a possible fix?

·
Registered
140 Posts
sorry to here about that.this happened to me 01 cobra 19,000 miles lt's (mac)installed smokes like a freight train.tried all that plus different wieght's.it will get worse.start looking for a rebuild.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
it doesn't burn up the rings.

the main theory as to why it smokes, is that welding slag breaks off the first time u start the car with the headers, gets sucked into the egr, through the intake, down into the combustion chamber and scores the walls of the bore. Then oil will get by the rings because of this scoring, and viola, james bond smoke screen.

how much oil are u dropping?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Enough to smell it just about every time I come to a stop. Occassionally I will see a puff of blue smoke when I take off from a stop. This happens pretty irregularly as I always watch my mirrors as I take off from a stop. I like to know when I have just let out an embarassing puff of smoke.

·
Registered
657 Posts
There is a money back gurantee on that engine restorer ****, just keep buying it and taking it back at differnet locations until you see a change :)

It wont do **** though , just my .02

1 - 20 of 36 Posts