Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , thanks for reading ..

I have a 91 foxbody with SN95 spindles . , 13in cobra fr / 11in the rear, and max motorsports coil over front and rear.

I would prefer to stay near these specs

There does not appear to be a good selection at that exact size. I did however find some TSW rims , very close to it. The offset/backspacing is only 1 mm out, I am thinking that will not be a problem ,

TSW - MAX Hyper Silver (17" x 8", +20 Offset, 5x114.3 Bolt Pattern, 76mm Hub
example of rim

I am going for 245/45/17 for the tire size,

So , unless I am missing something, the numbers say theoretically this should work .. Is it too good to be true ?

Will they clear the cobra brakes ?
Is my center hub size large enough or too big ?

thanks again

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I have a 91 foxbody with SN95 spindles . , 13in cobra fr / 11in the rear, and max motorsports coil over front and rear.

I would prefer to stay near these specs
View attachment 1072787
How did you arrive at those specs? I mean, they'll work, but that's a lower offset than most folks use. There are lots and lots of Fox owners with SN95 5-lug swaps that have successfully used any of the 17x8" SN95 wheels, all of which are 5.72" backspacing (so about +31mm offset). I would imagine you'd find more wheel options with a higher offset like that, so I'm curious what lead you to +19mm being what you wanted/needed?

So , unless I am missing something, the numbers say theoretically this should work .. Is it too good to be true ?

Will they clear the cobra brakes ?
Is my center hub size large enough or too big ?
Yes, the 17x8" +20mm would fit. I can't think of any reason why those TSW wheels would not clear the Cobra PBRs - they're a pretty typical sliding caliper, so wheel clearance isn't that challenging. Google for the hub bore and I'm sure you'll have that answer; I would guess you'll want some hubcentric rings to fill that 76mm bore.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
1mm = 0.03937"

Wheel fitment tolerances are not anywhere near that tight. Pretty sure the SN95 hub diameter is 72.1ish so hubcentric rings will be a good idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying, I work on engines and welding often, but rim sizes seem to be the last thing I think about.

After speaking the tech line at LMR , they suggested a 17x8 as the max due to the coil-over interference, the tech used their 17x8 pony rims as an example that would work.. 17x8,+19mm
That is where I got the starting point, but after some more research, I quickly became more confused than ever before :) .

Then got a call back from MM, suggested for my set up , (MM bilstein coil-over , stock K-member and a-arm, SN95 spindle ,Fox-length 5-lug rear axles, cobra13in-front and 11.5r-rear brakes )

They suggested a 17x9 with a ~6in backspace (which should be around +25.4mm for a 9in rim, according to this calculator) , The white rims in all the maximum motorsport ads are Konig Villian 17x9 +25.4mm or 6inBS . But even MM said the 17x9s are awful close and may need some spacers and then leading to some 'bodywork' .

I am not too concerned about super wide rims for now , I just need a set that will work, look decent ,and not rub anything. Let be real, the stocks were 7in 4lug , so anything is better.
But for now, I have a car almost completed, on jack stands because now I have too many lugs. first world problems eh ?

Any suggestions or experience with this set up would be great.

-thanks

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I think you'd be fine with the TSW wheels you're looking at. Based on the OEM SN95 wheels, which many folks have found to fix 5-lug-converted Foxes just fine, you could go with a higher positive offset and also be fine. So don't limit your search to the +19-20mm range - anything up into the low 30s will work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts