Ford Mustang Forums banner

First time to the track, issues/?'s...

517 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bullitt4456 
#1 ·
Went to Farmington dragway in statesville yesterday, it's an 1/8 mile strip. I'll try to give you guys as much info as possible.

Mods to my 95 GT:

3.73's, autotragic, stiff saleen springs, k&n, flowmasters, o/r h pipe, 275/40-17 bfg kdws's in the back, everything else stock, with 43k miles, and possibly a dying 02 sensor(s).

I messed up though, and didn't empty my car before I left, and didn't want to leave my stuff layng around at the track, for fear of it being stolen. I left the spare, jack, bag of tools/cleaning supplies ~40lbs, and other random **** that was probably another 30 or 40 lbs. I weigh 160 lbs if that helps.

it was 45* out, cloudy all day, expecting rain.

My best timeslip:

reaction: .813
60': 2.238
330': 6.664
1/8 ET: 10.372
MPH: 67.008

This was my fourth run, out of 16. My car didn't get enough cool down later on in the day, with my average being about 10.500 at just under 67 mph. That was one of my worst reaction times, I was treeing all the other street cars there like hell. That was my best 60' of the day, I couldn't get traction at all, no matter how I launched. I've gotten better traction on the street.

If anybody could analyze all these factors, and tell me what I did wrong, and how much all that weight is affecting me, I'd really appreciate it.. Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well far as traction it couldve just been the track. But you have to go down the list of things to check. Is the posi unit in the rear working fine? Do you have any check engine lights on? (scan for codes if there are?) 67mph trap indicates something is pretty bad wrong somewhere.

Billy

#3 ·
That mph is extremely low. You are about 10 mph off, and should find out why! I would say tune up, AFPR and some small mods and see how that helps.

#4 · (Edited)
NC STANG GUY said:
Well far as traction it couldve just been the track. But you have to go down the list of things to check. Is the posi unit in the rear working fine? Do you have any check engine lights on? (scan for codes if there are?) 67mph trap indicates something is pretty bad wrong somewhere.

Billy
I think my traction issues were just from my tires and suspension. Alot less weight transfer than stock + I didn't lower my tire pressure might have been a factor (I've got a slow leak in my right rear and my left rear was recently patched, didn't want to chance it).

I'm sure my posi is working fine, it always leaves two healthy strips of rubber ;). As for cel's, none, except for an occasional one that comes on after extended acceleration with heavy (but not full) throttle, and goes off within a minute. The guys in the 94/95 GT forum couldn't help me, but being the difficult bastard that I am, I haven't run the codes, since the cel goes off. Guess I'll be taking care of that soon. :eek:

#5 ·
LOL..

Sounds like a handful you got there!! Between the patch in the tire, the possible 02 sensors going out and excessive weight in the car it seems as if you should be working on those issues before racing :)..

Definitely sounds like the car is not running right.. I'd agree with the above and tune it up and see what happens.. The Auto's are a PIA "I assume that's what autotragic means".. Did you get a chip to fix the shifting after you installed the gears?

I know my 94 needed fixed after installing 4.10 gears in it because it just plain wouldn't shift correctly or at the right rpm.

Get some nice sticky tires or play with the pressure and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.