Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went this weekend figuring 11's would be no problem. I could tell from the first run it would be a good day. I let up at 1000 ft for the first few runs so I didn't make too many full passes. I took this time to get a feel for the 60 ft and tried a few things to make it hook. Ended up with a best 60 ft of 1.572 .
First full run was best, 11.803 at 114.56 . Best MPH was 114.90 . I didn't try any tuning to get better #'s, so I know there is more. I never left the line higher than 5200 rpm so I know there is more time to knock off and better 60 fts. as well.

Just wanted to fill in everyone to give a connection to my dyno results from a wek ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have almost the same setup as you have. The cam that i have is the f303 though. I think that it sucks. what are the specs on your cam and what would you recommend getting?

·
Registered
70 Posts
What was your raceweight? I bet you've still got a lot left in it. I found 5 mph in mine from my first trip to the track to my best trap speed. (Some in driving of course)

You've got that thing moving!

Later,
Kyle
'93 Cobra #1058

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
89notch I am not the one to recommend a cam for you. I have heard of some having good luck with the f-cam. Post your combo and ask what all the experts think.

Kyle i have not weighed it this year but am sure it is near 3200lbs with me in it. I just ordered a rollbar, so it is time to go on a diet. I think I am going to get rid of the battery box and put a light battery up front. I figure I can lose 50 lbs by getting a lighter battery, losing the box, cut off switch, bracing and cable.
I doubt I'll gain another 5 mph, but I like that thought. I know my driving can improve. I felt fairly rusty shifting.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Nice numbers! That 60' is awsome for the rock! I bet that car would go 11.60's down at cedar falls or tri state. Those two tracks hook like no other. You have more in it, I cant wait to see what it ends up at!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sweet! Its good to see another strong running local car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jesse, did you put in a S&W rollbar? If so how do you like it and who welded it in. I just ordered one. I have a friend who can do it if he has time. Otherwise I may need to find someone for a decent price.
I really would like to make it down to those tracks. Do you plan on going? Which one/s have you been to. I have heard they are nice.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Awesome! another strong running 302 with the AFR/Performer rpm/FTI cam setup!!! Looks like thats a good combination!

great times!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Nice numbers 88bullet. Like Jesse said, you get that car down to CFR or TriState and away from slippery Rock and you will see better numbers.

Let us know when your going and I will meet you there.

Ed Stettin

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
nice running car,should definately get into the 11.60's with work.

do you still run the a/c and p/s?

what are the specs on the cam?

there are getting to be alot of good running 302's on this board!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congratulations. I wish my car was that fast. I'm about ready to hop on the ported RPM bandwagon, and swap out this mild Ehoned Cobra. By the way, 88 bullet, is your RPM ported or stock? I assume that Ed worked his magic on it, but you left that out of your sig.

Would you recommend having Ed port an RPM for me and wait who knows how many months, or go with a TEA or Panhandle port job on the RPM? I've also thought of Ehoning one, but my Ehone Cobra doesn't seem to keep up with the hand ported ones that are matched to the heads. I've got stock TW heads that have 63k miles on them. I've thought about going with a new set of Ed AFR165's, but the cash isn't there.

All of you Corral AFR165 guys run great, but I've never seen a 114 mph AFR car dow here. Heck, I consistently out ran a notch with a 10.2:1 rebuilt 302, AFR165's, 224 cam, ported Performer (107 mph - to - 106 mph) with my lowly setup. There is another local guy here only making 275 rwhp with a similar AFR combo. Maybe it is Ed's magic. Who knows.

I talked to Tooley at TEA and AFM, and they both recommended the Trackheat for me. However, I have not heard of one full weight, stock block, 6250 rpm car running more than 108-109 mph with that intake. Heck, if I took out my cats and shifted a little better, I'd be there with my Cobra. I guess I'm not sure what to do.

In any case, congratulations on your luck.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
88bullet said:
Jesse, did you put in a S&W rollbar? If so how do you like it and who welded it in. I just ordered one. I have a friend who can do it if he has time. Otherwise I may need to find someone for a decent price.
Yes I put the S&W bar in and I really like it. There is an exhaust pros in richfield that welded it in for me. The owner is tom christenson, he races with the minnesota maniacs. He did a great job and knew the rules were it had to be. I preped the car and he welded it for 175. I just put the 6pt in and left the 2 tranny hump bars out, figure I wont be in the 9's anytime soon so why put extra weight in.

I really would like to make it down to those tracks. Do you plan on going? Which one/s have you been to. I have heard they are nice.
I have been to cedar falls. That track is great, 20 bucks to run the car all evening and the track is preped really well. I have pulled a couple 1.54 sixty foots out of there with my +6* pinion angle. Your car would pull 1.50's I bet. Let me know when a good time is and we can head down, its about 3hrs from here.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Let me know when your going to CFR as well. I will do my best to meet you there. If the weather looks good this weekend, I may be heading that way on Sunday. We will see. I am supposed to head up to Minny and Wisconsin for some inlaw visits too. If my wife doesn't give me too much grief, I will be there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dennis and Ed we will have to get together when we can come down. I can't this weekend as I hope to put in the rollbar.
SSM If you can wait, Ed C's work is worth the wait. As far as my RPM intake, I ported it which was mostly smoothing runners and matching.
ROG30Y the cam is .562/.565 and 228/232 - 282/282 with a 109 LC if I remember right. The ps and ac are gone but I added a blowproof bell. I bet it nearly weighs the same as those two.
Jesse I could probably sell you all the stuff for the battery box, cable, switch etc. We will have to talk. PM me your phone #

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hey man, your combo is very impressive. I bought my AFRs last year and ran them for the first time this spring. I managed 13.0 at 104.6, which was good for only 2 runs. The mph really bugs the crap out of me, I was expecting about 110 or so. My cam is 230/230, but open/close is likely different at my 112 center. I would be very interested in the .050 open/close specs, but I don't want to piss of good ole Ed. I know that is sacred info.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
greylx,

Few things to help you. First, the .050 specs for eds cam are in the post above yours, 228/232. What you need to do is swap all your topend parts for better stuff, I would recommend the cl 76, edelbrock rpm intake, and a 70 or 75mm accufab tb. Also, your headers come with a 2 1/4 inch hole at best, even though its listed at 2.5. You need to open that up to the full 2.5 to get the best results, and make sure your primary openings dont have any flash or other airflow hurting stuff in there. Also, whats your fuel injectors? TIming? Fuel pressure? Good pump in the tank?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks for the reply N2O88. I was more interested in the int/exh open close. My cam was ground for my old powerheads believe it or not. Cylinder pressure is lower than I would like, (compression 120 psi). I think you are right about the RPM intake and TB. I am having a hard time believing that a cam would help that much over the one I have, but I keep seeing these guys with cobra intakes running 110 - 113. But in all reality, it feels like the cam is too big for the intake, or vice versa. Car starts to pull steadily at 3000 - 3500. But hey, there's always room for improvement.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.