Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put together the bottom end saturday so the oil pan up to the pistons is done. I put in the timing chain and cover and dropped in the lifters. Everything is top dead center as far as alignment goes. The number one piston is at the top of the cylinder now. My question now is the distributer, I know alot of people have problems with this and if someone could break it down for me I can do it tonight. Then I can put the heads on and so forth. I have been told that the number one piston has to be at the top of its stoke I believe. I know that the cam, crank, and timing chain are all lined up like they are supposed to be. What steps do I need to take to finish this thing off. Thanks,
Chris

P.s- sorry for the length. I'm getting excited now, my car will be running off of an engine that I built.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok....is there a way that I can do it without the degree wheel? Just trying to check out my options...thanks for the input. also, where does the clutch cable screw into in the trans....first time for this too. I have to run the clutch cable to the pedal and to the tranny. The cable is in place just not hooked up on either end

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
98 bab gt said:
Ok....is there a way that I can do it without the degree wheel? Just trying to check out my options...thanks for the input. also, where does the clutch cable screw into in the trans....first time for this too. I have to run the clutch cable to the pedal and to the tranny. The cable is in place just not hooked up on either end
Make a degree wheel out of a dinner plate! ANYTHING will almost work, accuracy will suffer...

My clutch cable does not screw into the tranny. It has a hole that the cable sheath rests against, and the cable goes thru to the clutch... It mounts on the (forget the name right now) doohikie lever arm that rests against the throwout bearing and the fingers of the clutch plates.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sure you've done it buy now but here goes

put cap on distributer the mark lower cap where it has #1 on cap in line with where plug wire would go (stem) then take cap off drop distributer in then rotor should line up with mark you put on it . if not pick up dis...just enough until you can turn and rotate rotor which way you are off . then place back down .rotate distrib. till lines up with mark then lock down .this is real close for start . you'll know if you are off if ,after dropped in you have to rotate so far that dis.. touches either thermostat housing or head .on efi car ingnition module should be about 4:30 -5;00 position

i dont know about anyone else but is easier to do this after heads and lower intake are on already so you dont have to fight angles and such and screwing up silcone bead ...ps cork gaskets suck dont use

do dis.. last

1 - 5 of 5 Posts