Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 01 Cobra convertible that is stock and in great shape with 5K miles. Wondered what your opinions were about what the first modification you would make to increase performance.

·
Registered
693 Posts
well, what are you looking at for performance wise increase? me personally, I'd get some Longtube headers, an Off Road X pipe, and a nice cat back, either that or some 430-4.56 gears......but, it's all in what a person wants from a car. My 03 cobra's first mod is a pulley<should be here next week>:joy: :joy: before i actually install it though, some LT's, an o/r x and catback, then a chip, and with the 03, i don't think gears are needed, some folks have done them first thing......good luck with the car, and congrats and such a purchase! Charles

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
4.30 gears

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Starting with the easiest, I'd throw a K&N Filter, 100mm complete densecharger, Pro 5.0 shifter, offroad X/H pipe, good cat-back, and 4.10's. Then start on the suspension...Sub-frames, springs, CC plates, upper control arms, Lakewood lift bars, etc....That should keep you smiling for a little while and not break the bank right away....:D

Congrats on a killer purchase!

VAiN

·
Registered
866 Posts
DrKnowledge said:
Wondered what your opinions were about what the first modification you would make to increase performance.
The single biggest difference in a bolt-on mod will be gears. Anything from 3.73 to 4.3 will be big improvement over stock.

After that, it's headers/exhaust, air box/filter/intake, pulleys, dyno tuned custom chip.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Your first mod should be an offroad pipe. I'm partial to h-pipes because I think they sound better, although the Dr. Gas X seems to be a great performer.

After the pipe, get some 4.30 gears.

·
Registered
41 Posts
do your self a big favor get a good after market shifter first right away before you try any hard shifts with only 5000 miles you probably still have a chance that the trany has not been hurt yet after that gears will give you the most noticeable gains the ratio is your choice do a search you will find many threads debating this

·
Registered
426 Posts
I 2nd the shifter and K&N suggestion. I personally don't like where the stock clutch sits, so to help out with shifting steeda makes an adjuster. Might as well make the car easier to drive before you go putting more power to the pavement.

·
Registered
468 Posts
DrKnowledge said:
I recently bought an 01 Cobra convertible that is stock and in great shape with 5K miles. Wondered what your opinions were about what the first modification you would make to increase performance.
Nitrous :evil:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I like Michael's order except first do the shifter (either Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts