Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i know how to find true tdc with the heads off with a dial indicator. Just wondering is it a pain to get the dial shaft down the spark plug hole to set tdc? I'm installing a set of sean hyland 2730 cams on a friends full bolt on 2002 gt. Im going to just drop them in and check ptv clearance 20° after tdc on the intake side. Specs are lift .495/.495 and duration is 230/230. This is his dd, he's looking mainly for the lope so I don't see degreeing necessary as I know others will argue that fact.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
with the heads on, piston stop is the only way.
heads off you can use dial indicator, or piston stop.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with the heads on, piston stop is the only way.
heads off you can use dial indicator, or piston stop.
How is it possible to use a piston stop with the heads installed?

·
Registered
125 Posts
How is it possible to use a piston stop with the heads installed?
It threads into the spark plug hole and the center is threaded to adjust it

·
Registered
271 Posts
Summit Racing® Piston Stops SUM-900189 - SummitRacing.com

you screw it into the number one hole. put your degree wheel on. rotate crank til piston hits stop. mark the degree it stops at. then go backwards til it hits stop. mark that degree. add the two numbers together and divide the answer by 2. then pull out piston stop then rotate the crank to the degree of your answer then remove the degree wheel and set to zero.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Summit Racing® Piston Stops SUM-900189 - SummitRacing.com

you screw it into the number one hole. put your degree wheel on. rotate crank til piston hits stop. mark the degree it stops at. then go backwards til it hits stop. mark that degree. add the two numbers together and divide the answer by 2. then pull out piston stop then rotate the crank to the degree of your answer then remove the degree wheel and set to zero.
Awesome info man, I did not know this tool exists. I was thinking of the piston stop on modularheadshops article. So this is the way to set tdc, then I am checking ptv every few degrees after tdc clockwise for 20 degrees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts