Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such thing as a spray on hardner??? Can you put on the resin and then spray on a form of hardner with a sprayer???

I was thinking about designing a custom fiberglass speaker encloser.. I've been wanting to learn how to work with fiberglass for a long time... my idea was to make an armature and then soak some fabric in resin, wring out the excess, then stretch it over the form then apply the hardner. I want the outside layer to be smooth so I don't have to sand and use filler to get a good finish... then I would layer it up from the inside..

Or would it be better the dip the fabric in resin with hardner in it then quickly stretch it over and secure it... or would it be best to do it the old fashion way of stretching the material and brush it will resin/hardner all at one time..

Remember I am a Newbie at this. I love working with my hands and can weld, and metal cast aluminum and bronze so this isn't a project that's over my head.

Also where to get fiberglass.. both woven and chopped?? Boat supply warehouse?? Where else? I know I can get it in small quantities at Walmart and Home Depot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't really understand what you mean? Most speaker boxes are made of wood for sound.
There is no spray on hardener. If this is a custom shape though, I can help. Get some foam--like the kind that goes on the side of a house--stack or glue together to make a block. Push block into place a little at the time--you make dents in the form --cutting alittle at the time you get it to fit perfect. When you have it just the way you want--alittle smaller so you have room for the fiberglass-- you wrap it in tin foil or plastic. If plastic check to see if the resin will melt it. Do alittle at the time--top then a side etc. the amount of resin/hardener will determine the dry time. After you have done one part and its dry, sand the shiny off the edge and go on to the next side and work your way around the box. Once you have the base on you can then sand alittle and apply many coats of the resin (sand inbetween coats) for a nice smoothe fininsh. OH YEAH, cut the speaker hole out and just tear the form out. And you have a custom box. Alittle tip--bondo will stick to this so if you have any bad spots you can fix them with that. Good Luck. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You will be beter off mixing then applying the resin. You will not get any kind of curing adding the hardener after the resin is spread onto the cloth. Later. Dave @ H.O. Fibertrends :) you can try www.fiberglast.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
i'd have to disagree there dave... although it might not be as fast or effective of a curing process, i've found that you can just put regular liquid hardener in a spray bottle, little sample hairspray ones work quite well, then spray it uniformly over the entire thing...as i said, its not quite as effective, but it DOES work.

·
Registered
751 Posts
ive done gelcoat and it says on the can how to mix for spraying

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you use the West System brand line of epoxy resins you will have plenty of working time (at least 30 min) and it will be at least 10 times stronger than any other polyester resin on the market. You can buy a quart kit at any West Marine or boat U.S. for about $30.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$30 for a QUART!!!!... DAMN!

I think for this I'll just stick with the Bondo brand stuff....

·
Registered
273 Posts
It might be about $15-20, I just dont remember I dont buy small ammounts. I have a 55 gallon drum at work that cost about $2,700.

But IMO with the West System you get way way way more than you pay for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts