Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the fenders the same for 87-90 cars and pre 87 cars?? (86, 85, 84 etc)

if not, whats the difference.. will it be noticable with GT skirts?

thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money to buy the later fenders, The differnce is from the top of the skirt down. I bought the late
model fender skirts and made them fit. A little trimming with tin snips and a couple of new holes, ta da.
Now my 17x9 cobra wheels clear just fine

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not buying new..

i found (IN A DUMPSTER!!!) a totally rust-free fender for a mustang..

just has one small ding on the fender lip that can be worked out..

i just realized the other day that it had the 85 or 86 side molding on it

so i can still use it with skirts? cant notice the difference?

what exactly is the difference?

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
The fenders AND the liners changed in '90 or '91, whenever they went to 16-inch wheels.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So, I have an 89, if I wanted a replacement, I couldnt use a 90-93? Or I could, but it would just look dumb? Thanks

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
89gt50... i read about someone having an 88 fender, and one of the newer 91-93 fenders, and he didnt notice until he saw a thread about it, and measured for himself.

MFE.. so your saying all fenders from 79-90 are the same? my 90 parts car had turbines so im guessing 91 is when they started using pony's and different fenders

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
I'm not sure all the 79-90's are the same, but I do know they changed 90 or 91. Did you try the Body Shop forum?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The only difference in the 91-93 fenders is the lower section below the moulding at the front. The fender is 1" narrower than previous fenders between the bumper cover and wheel opening. The lower extension is also narrower for improved clearance. Other than that the only real differences were the add on trim such as the mouldings.

You can gain tire clearance on older cars by doing some fender steel trimming and then using the lower extensions from the 91-93 cars. The inner splash shield can also be made to work.

So yes, an 85-86 fender will bolt right up and the trim should swap over. May need to drill a few holes for the mouldings but it'll go on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts