Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smog time again. Took the car in today. Mods are in sig. Nothing major done to the car. Just exhaust and pullies.

First up, He takes one look and says that my exhaust system is not legal. (But I thought that the X-Pipe was 50 state). :confused:

He tried to run the car thru the check anyway but said it still failed.

As far as I know, the exhaust is tip-top. Car runs great.

Should I bolt on my stock pipes?

Anyone else failing smog with a similar setup to mine?

Anthony

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you were located anywhere but Cali, I would say it would passed with no problems. You will have to put on the old exhaust. When I had the Bassani X with cats, I pass with no problems in NC. In fact, I don't have cats right now and I passed the OBD II. IMO that's all you can do. Good Luck!

William:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, he mumbled something about OBD II. I don't know what that means though.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
stricky said:
Smog time again. Took the car in today. Mods are in sig. Nothing major done to the car. Just exhaust and pullies.

First up, He takes one look and says that my exhaust system is not legal. (But I thought that the X-Pipe was 50 state). :confused:

He tried to run the car thru the check anyway but said it still failed.

As far as I know, the exhaust is tip-top. Car runs great.

Should I bolt on my stock pipes?

Anthony
What where the numbers? How much did you fail by?

·
Registered
90 Posts
stricky said:

Anthony
Yes,I too have a Bassani x-pipe w/cats. I took it to one of those gas station/Smog places (Smog Pros,I think) and right off the bat failed visual.:mad: The guy looked at my decals that are on my back of the hood and said "your missing two catalytic converters" (stock h pipe has four vs,the x having two). I did pass the sniffer test though. I passed barely by 2 PPM,talk about just scraping by.:D

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
when i had my 97 gt, i passed the sniffer easily with the bassani x w/cats. where i go to, they don't care much about visual, jus the sniffer. your best bet is to find a small smog shop b/c they usually don't check for visual.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update.

Woke up early.
Put car on ramps
Dusted off stock H-pipe (with 4 bloody cats)
Installed said H-pipe (2 hours...alone)
Drove to smog station
Passed!

Margarita time :)

Side note: Stock H-pipe sounds pretty bloody good. Lots more Bass than the X-pipe. But X-pipe going back on tomorrow.

Anthony

·
Registered
868 Posts
What were your numbers when you failed?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry, I had the same problem w/ my car. I failed twice w/ a Bassani X-pipe w/ cats. That's when I called the manufacturer and asked if it was Smog legal. They said no. Look on their site under Warranty and you'll see the clause. It's pretty well hidden. You'll have to take it off to pass. Please share with us your numbers so that we can better understand?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've also went through smog w/ the same mods....bassani, borla, pulleys, TB, and CAI. The sniffer passed no worse than stock. All they checked underneath was if it had cats or not. I can understand how visual could be somewhat of a problem, but am clueless on why your car failed w/ that combo. Maybe not warmed up enough?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did any of you guys have to go to "test only" smog check? I just got my renewal for a "test only", and I know my LTs definitely doesn't pass visual. BTW my car is a 49 state car, brought it into CA 2 yrs ago, passed smog at the time (was fully stock then).

Anyone know of anyone who passed the sniff test in CA with LTs and cats?

Or anyone have any contacts at a "test only" that might look the other way as far as visual?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The Bassani Cat-pipes are NOT state legal in any way.

Check the thread I started last week. My car just barely passed PA emissions. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328277

I just thought this was interesting. I just had my PA inspection/emissions done. I just barely passed the HC limit with the new Bassani X-Cat Pipe that has ~1000 miles on it.

Here is a comparison of all my emissions results:
Code:
GAS  ::  READING/MAX-LIMIT :: CAR-MILEAGE :: CAT-TYPE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CO% 0.01/0.42 :: HCppm 12/76 :: NOppm 1/605 :: 15489 :: STOCK

CO% 0.01/0.42 :: HCppm 13/76 :: NOppm 1/605 :: 15680 :: STOCK

CO% 0.00/0.42 :: HCppm  5/76 :: NOppm 17/605 :: 31532 :: STOCK

CO% 0.00/0.42 :: HCppm 8/76  :: NOppm 354/605 :: 50002 :: STOCK

CO% 0.20/0.42 :: HCppm [COLOR=red]75[/COLOR]/76 :: NOppm 427/605 :: 66843 :: BASSANI-X
When your state starts doing the OBD-II connector emissions test for 96+ cars it may be easier to pass then. I believe PA is starting it next year. As long as the car passes the built-in Readiness Tests and there is NO Illumination of the MIL you will pass. From what I have heard 98+ cars have a more strict Readiness Test built in. Probably (just a wild guess) explains why the pin-outs of the PCM is a little different compared to the 96/97 cars.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
99SaleenS281 & fasterblackhybrid

I didn't get the failure numbers I'm afraid. The guy just said I failed visual and I failed the sniffer. He then waved his hands and said comeback tomorrow.

S281JET

The car was well warmed up. It even sat on their dyno for a good tem minutes as well.

WIZEASP

My guy would have passed me if the sniffer was OK. He was about to look the other way on the visual but to pass the car even with a bad sniff he could not do. That's why he asked me to come back the next day with some more $. It was then that I decided to put the old pipes back on and get a legit test.

Some testers will pass anything for a price.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Man its threads like this that makes me love living in good 'ol Iowa.... Emissions testing? WTF is that????????

Me and my Hooker Lt's, O/R X-pipe and Race Bullets are going for a cruise......

j/k guys, but it must REALLY suck to have to go through all the BS you do just so you can drive your car. Here, if it has functional head/tail lamps, turn signals, and mufflers its street legal. And believe me, there are guys that even push THAT.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
St. Louis just started the ODBII testing on 96+ cars and it's much better than the old sniffer emissions tests...I've heard of people here with O/R pipes and Prochambers passing the ODBII because they just check for codes, but if you have MILiminators they take care of that...We also have a saftey inspection that has to be done but from what I've heard they don't check for cats...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PritchSVT97 said:
Man its threads like this that makes me love living in good 'ol Iowa.... Emissions testing? WTF is that????????

j/k guys, but it must REALLY suck to have to go through all the BS you do just so you can drive your car. Here, if it has functional head/tail lamps, turn signals, and mufflers its street legal. And believe me, there are guys that even push THAT.
Well I'm an Aussie living in SoCal and I'm loving every minute of it. I love the car culture over here. We have a good car culture back in Oz but it is nothing like here. (And we have no smog tests).

I have no complaints to spending a few hours under the car to get it thru smog.

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES MATE :evil:

·
Registered
657 Posts
PritchSVT97 said:

Umm , I second that, about all they care about here is whether or not you wake the neighbors, and some cops ***** about front license plates... <----- Dumb Law :rolleyes:

·
Formerly known as 302Quest
2,809 Posts
something doesn't smell right, if they put you on the dyno and you fail, in MA they still give you a print out of your emmisions levels i do belive
~J

·
Registered
451 Posts
that's weird, i just passed with no problems two months ago with the exact same xpipe. that's why you need to take it to one of the rink a dink places that don't care.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Slithering_Joe said:
The Bassani Cat-pipes are NOT state legal in any way.

Check the thread I started last week. My car just barely passed PA emissions. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328277

I just thought this was interesting. I just had my PA inspection/emissions done. I just barely passed the HC limit with the new Bassani X-Cat Pipe that has ~1000 miles on it.

When your state starts doing the OBD-II connector emissions test for 96+ cars it may be easier to pass then. I believe PA is starting it next year. As long as the car passes the built-in Readiness Tests and there is NO Illumination of the MIL you will pass. From what I have heard 98+ cars have a more strict Readiness Test built in. Probably (just a wild guess) explains why the pin-outs of the PCM is a little different compared to the 96/97 cars.

:lol: That's why I didn't have any problems passing even without the cats. As long as the car is not throwing codes, you'll be fine(you have to find a place who isn't strict with the visual inspection). The '96 to '99 cars can have 2 no response codes and the 2000 and up can have 1. For example the mils will throw a no response code. The OBD II has no way to read there is no cats on the car. Thus, I passed!:joy:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts