Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '93 LX 5.0 convertible has an a/c compressor that won't engage when the switch is activated. The freon (R12) level is full, and no leaks noted. Good voltage at the compressor, so my guess is the a/c clutch is shot. A friend mentioned that the a/c clutch on Fords can be replaced w/out removing the compressor and depleting the uber-expensive R12. True or not? Anyone out there with experience on doing this very job who could give some pointers to a wanna-be mechanic would be most appreciated

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
These POS Ford clutches have a rubber bonding ring on the hub that eventually splits, so when you turn the a/c on, the clutch engages, but it won't spin the a/c compressor since the rubber hub is not connected. I went to AutoZone and bought a replacment clutch that is all spring steel and works great. It is pretty simple to install, you just need a set of snap-ring pliers with a long snout. The instructions in it are pretty clear, and yes, you can do it with the compressor on the car! Hope that helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help

Off to AutoZone - thanks for the great help! I am now officially glued to this site.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
reply to Glenn

There is good current to the compressor, but how do I adjust the 'clutch air gap?' ie, what is that?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Glenn is referring to the gap between the clutch and the pulley. I don't exactly remember stock specs, but it's somewhere around .010". Ford uses small shims under the clutch hub to space it away from the pulley to the proper specs. I know new compressors and I think new clutches come with more shims if you cannot get it gapped right with the shims that are on it. The hardest part about replacing the clutch is getting it off. Sometimes the clutch hub likes to get hung up and makes it look like something else is holding it on once you are ready to remove it. Take your time and be patient.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
All those details are covered in the booklet that came with the clutch I picked up at AutoZone. I'm sure if you buy one someplace else, all that information comes with it!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Whats this clutch cost ?

If you don't mind me asking? My clutch is making some weird winding noises. I had my freon levels checked and its ok.

Thanx!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts