Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
grabber_grabbs said:
do you guys know at what RPM the factory stall converter locks for a 2000GT ?
Yup, It's 2340 rpm.. However it's nothing like the performance converters.... It locks up much sooner and you can't put your foot on the brake and hold it much past 1800 rpms... I acutally questioned this number but I got it confirmed by Art Carr Transmissions. Again, a good Performance Torque converter will be a whole different story... Depending on your mods I would suggest a 2600 (For Mild mods) or a 2800 (For medium mods plus gears like 4.10s) And go 3000-3200 with Supercharged application.. I had a Stallion and an Art Carr Converter and I liked the Art Carr Converter a LOT better!!! It will make a BIG difference how your Automatic will take off during a race and will shave up to half a second off your ET.. It's the biggest improvement you can do to your Automatic transmission...other than Supercharge it ;)

But be careful.. I ran into the trap and got a too steep of a stall converter from Precision/Stallion Converter.. It ran like crap on the street and I didn't care for it at all.. Sold it and got an Art Carr converter. Man, what a difference.... And no drivability issues at normal speeds.. Later I sold that one as well and swapped to a 5 Speed... I just like to row the gears :D
It feels so much stronger with a 5 Speed than an automatic.
However the Automatic was a heck of a lot more consistant than the 5 Speed.. It's just what you like ;)

Good luck to you.....

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you install 4.10gears, does it decrease the need of a 2600Converter ? (Since the car will rev a little higher at a given spead)

Did you install your Art Carr Converter yourself/with fiend, if so, was it easy to install ?

What about the valve body... did you changed it or did you make the Jerry's mod to your valve body ?

What about the tranny cooler now, i just went to the local for dealer this morning for a cooler and they can supply 2 different size of cooler, one that is 4'' and the other that is 8''.
What size would be ennough for my car assuming i will install a art carr 2600 Converter in the tranny ?

Thanks for your response

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Actually the higher numerically the gear the higher of a stall speed converter you can run. Again, there are some other factors involved here and it all depends on your current mods and what you want to do with the car. I bought the Art Carr converter and matching performance Valve Body at a Fun Ford Weekend Show last year. There are some nice deals to be had at those shows and races.. The Valve body I installed myself but the converter is a pain in the butt because you have to drop the tranny and I just don't have the tools for that. So I had a performance shop put it in for about 180 bucks. If you go to a tranny shop they will rip you a new one just for a torque converter installation. Amoco especially. I called them and they wanted over 380 bucks to install the torque converter... :eek:
That is just totally insane... I think 150-180 is a fair price.. Anything more and forget it. For Mild mods I would still go with a 2600-2800 Stall converter. If you have a Supercharger and depending on your torque curve you could go as high as 3000-3200 rpm stall speed but that's when drivability will suffer.
I had a Stallion Converter with a 3200 stall speed and I just didn't like it for the street. Very mushy shifts and it slipped the tranny a lot more than I cared for... When I swapped to a lower stall speed Art Carr converter it made a huge difference and the car felt great on the street. Larger stall speed is not always better... It just depends what your torque curve is. Like with a Turbocharger the max torque curve comes in much lower than on a Supercharger and an Automatic with a Turbo doesn't want a high stall speed. I would say 2200 would be good for a Turbo... But with the Superchargers not coming to full boost or torque until above 3000 rpms then the higher stall speed would be recommended.. I would say talk to Art Carr and tell them your mods and mods to be and they will recommend the proper Converter for you.. Expect to pay about 600-800 bucks for a decent converter. And either do the Jerry Mod or get a good matching valve body. Doing a shift kit is way too messy and the chances of scewing something up are a lot higher..

Good luck to you and I hope you get what you are looking for.
I have a spare 4R70W transmission with 9000 miles on it that I will sell cheap (500 plus shipping) in case anyone is insterested.

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Forgot about the tranny cooler ;) I already had a tranny cooler from when I put my Supercharger in and I would say get the largest one you can get to cool the fluid. Heat is the number one killer of Automatic Transmissions. Go with a good performance Cooler. I am not sure what brand my cooler is but it is bigger than 8 inches ... How does your tranny shop messure the cooler?
How much do they charge you? I have my cooler still for sale.
I will let you have it for 40 bucks plus shipping... Lidio Iacobelli installed this cooler for me and it cost me 100 bucks plus installation.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Higher numerically rear gear lowers actuall stall, higher produced torque increases actuall stall. With supercharged application you don't want high stall at all, it has good torque output down low so stalling converter higher you just wasting it.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/stall.html
I have 3200 PI and have zero driveability issues, anything less is just waste of money on NA imo.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sting said:
Forgot about the tranny cooler ;) I already had a tranny cooler from when I put my Supercharger in and I would say get the largest one you can get to cool the fluid. Heat is the number one killer of Automatic Transmissions. Go with a good performance Cooler. I am not sure what brand my cooler is but it is bigger than 8 inches ... How does your tranny shop messure the cooler?
How much do they charge you? I have my cooler still for sale.
I will let you have it for 40 bucks plus shipping... Lidio Iacobelli installed this cooler for me and it cost me 100 bucks plus installation.
what i ment by 4 et 8 inches, is that the cooler is like an alternator of 4inch height by 15 width and the other one is 8 inch height by 15 width (Sorry for misspelling)

what is the size of yours, i might be interested in it. Do you have all the fitting that came with it originally ?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Andrew WOT said:
Higher numerically rear gear lowers actuall stall, higher produced torque increases actuall stall. With supercharged application you don't want high stall at all, it has good torque output down low so stalling converter higher you just wasting it.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/stall.html
I have 3200 PI and have zero driveability issues, anything less is just waste of money on NA imo.
Actually you do want a higher stall with a Supercharger because of it's peak torque not coming in until around 3500 rpm.
When I still had my Automatic tranny I was told by Jerry of Jerry Mod fame that the perfect Stall speed for my converter would be right around 3100 rpm.. So I could've gone either 3000 or 3200 rpm.. Now with a Turbocharger it's a different story. Because peak torque comes in a lot lower lets say around 2200 rpm..
You really don't want a high stall converter for a Turbocharged car.

Well, I got tired of trying to make my Automatic something it wasn't and swaped for a 5 Speed... Best Mod I ever did. Car
feels a lot stronger than it ever did with an Automatic and I have a lot more control of when I want to shift. But each their own and automatics are great for the track because the are very consistant. I just have more fun with a 5 Speed....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
sting can you explain me how the car was reacting (while you had the auto tranny and the 2600 converter) when launching from a stop light let say.... was the RPM reving to 2600RPM before the car would move forward ?

Right now, my car is tock, and from a dead stop or in a parking lot i wouldn't want to car to rev too much before the tranny engage forward!!

Since the stock converter is locking at 2400RPM (from your last post) it shouldnt be too much of a difference with the 2600 one ?

Right now when i cruise in town (if i remember well) in 3th gears, the RPM is at 1600 or 1700RPM (40MPH approx). Now with a 2600 Converter, will i notice that like the tranny is slipping... or will it drive just like stock. Actually even if the converter is suppose to lock at 2400 i dont feel that the tranny is slipping at 1600 RPM at all.

Could it be possible to change the stock torque converter setup via a chip like fordchip for instance ? If i have to buy a chip for my 4.10 gears, i might as well ask them to change the torque converter setup by the same time... What do you think ?

I will never go at the track nor put my feet on the brake to launch the car, do you think that a 2600Converter is a good mod for me (street use)

Thanks for responding to my questions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
grabber_grabbs said:
sting can you explain me how the car was reacting (while you had the auto tranny and the 2600 converter) when launching from a stop light let say.... was the RPM reving to 2600RPM before the car would move forward ?

Right now, my car is tock, and from a dead stop or in a parking lot i wouldn't want to car to rev too much before the tranny engage forward!!

Since the stock converter is locking at 2400RPM (from your last post) it shouldnt be too much of a difference with the 2600 one ?

Right now when i cruise in town (if i remember well) in 3th gears, the RPM is at 1600 or 1700RPM (40MPH approx). Now with a 2600 Converter, will i notice that like the tranny is slipping... or will it drive just like stock. Actually even if the converter is suppose to lock at 2400 i dont feel that the tranny is slipping at 1600 RPM at all.

I will never go at the track nor put my feet on the brake to launch the car, do you think that a 2600Converter is a good mod for me (street use)

Thanks for responding to my questions.
There is a difference between slip and stall speed. The car will move forward way below the rated stall speed of the converter. This is called slip by most folks. So , number one, you can get going on slip before you make the fluid coupling at stall rpm. Number two, remember, stall speed is a function of torque. Stall speed increases as input torque increases. At low torque input, your stall speed is way reduced.

I have a 2800 rpm protorque converter in my tbird. It is great around town - it really gets my heavy car moving from a stop. My tuner has modified the tcc lockup schedule to give me some more efficiency and mpg and help take away that slippy feel. It is a good setup, and I dropped nearly half a sec at the track.

Be sure and match your stall speed to your application, and don't be afraid to get a pretty decent stall for an NA motor. I would have personally gone for a little more stall speed, but my next mod will be an SVO blower. Hopefully 2800 won't be too much, esp with the increased input torque.

My $.02 - hope it helps.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
grabber_grabbs said:

Actually a GOOD Stall converter will behave pretty much like your stock converter during part time accelleration. It only really makes a huge difference during WOT and off the line accelleration.
So you don't have to worry for everyday around town driving unless you get a HUGE Stall speed and then it slip will become very annoying and the shifts a bit mushy... Yes, the lock up schedule can be improved via a Chip Tuner that knows what they are doing.. The Fordchip guys know how to set all the necessary values for proper lock up speed and line pressure and shift points depending on your converter and gear ratio... The stock converters stall speed is actually a bit missleading... There are other factors involved as well such as torque mulitplication and size of torque converter and friction material used, etc, etc...
Even at the same Stall Speed a Performance converter will come out way ahead because of it's excellent Torque Multiplication qualities of the line. Shaving around half a second of your ET's is very common with a good converter... But like the person before me mentioned you will have to properly match your converter and stall speed to your modifications.. 2600-2800 should be fine for most mildly to medium modified cars. Superchargered cars could go with 3000-3200 rpm stall speed
Where Turbocharged cars should go with a lower than stock Stall speed because their max torque comes in much lower than a Supercharged car... So 2200 is plenty for them...
The best way would be to talk to one of the Art Carr techs and have them build a Torque converter that will suit your needs best.

If you don't have gears yet, I would go with them first... or with both.... Since you really would have to get a tune done to make most of your torque converter and the gear set....

Good Luck to you..

Tom in Indy

·
Registered
193 Posts
Iam in the market for a Converter as Well.. My 2000 Gt has Basic bolt ons almost everything but the long tubes which will be going on in a month or so.. I have 3:73 Gears.. My Tranny has Extra Clutch Packs in It.. A Trans Go Shift Kit..And a 12Inch Tranny Cooler..I was wondering which stall you would recommend for my Car..

Furture Plans a Pro Charger P1SC ...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If you read that article on www.tccoa.com , you'll see that they recommend a stall speed of approx. 700 rpm lower than your peak torque rpm. My peak torque is at 4100 (and will probably stay right around there forever), so I went with the 3600 (3400 would have been exactly 700 lower, but I also have a 4.10, so...

Find out where your peak torque is, and go from there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There are a lot of N/A cars running 3000-3200 stall converters with no problems. I've seen guys with even higher stalls than that. PI makes killer converters "Sting" you are the first person I have seen that wasnt happy with theirs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts