Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 95 mustang GT - 302. If I could and knew how to quickly I would completely dump emissions. But I need a EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) value tube. The value is OK but the tube is f**ked.

The f**king FMC service departments that have them want $62.00. It seems like an easy fabrication. The nuts work. It looks like a piece of damn pipe with heat shield material with some bolts on the end. Is this safe? HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
yeah.. you just need a large enough flaring tool to flare the ends for the nuts.. If you don't flare it enough, the nut will pull over the ends.. Forgot what size pipe is was, but you can definately throw one together.... OR, find a junkyard one

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
years back when I still ran EGR I made a replacement tube from I think it was 5/8" inside diameter "soft" copper tubing and flared the ends after sliding the end caps on. I used the soft copper so I could bend it into shape by hand more easily

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've used the softcopper tubing too. Works great if you can find teh right flaring tool.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
years back when I still ran EGR I made a replacement tube from I think it was 5/8" inside diameter "soft" copper tubing and flared the ends after sliding the end caps on. I used the soft copper so I could bend it into shape by hand more easily
Yep.. I now remember... 5/8" i.d...

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Soft copper and the flaring tool can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I did the same thing on my last '95. It's a big PITA IMO. I've since deleted all that crap on my current 95 and it's so much easier to work on that side now. You can delete it and still get through emissions. www.rjminjectiontech.com sells the block off plates and the cap for the header bung. I suggest having it removed in the tune if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Whoa... too much work, boys!
Walker Exhaust makes a high-temp silicone exhaust accessory tubing. It's blue on the outside with a orange-red interior layer. Costs about $5-10 per foot. Buy one foot and it will last you 5-10 years, and clamp it over any remaining pipe you have sticking out of your EGR and the other end on the bung on your manifold. Hose clamp, and you're done.
I bought mine at O'Reilly's about 4 years ago and cut it long... sliding a bit up the EGR tube. When I removed it after a couple years to work on my lower intake, I cut off the bit that was on the manifold (actually LongTube) bung and scooted the rest down a bit, as it had gotten brittle at the tip.
I wish I had the part number, but if you find a good parts guy he should be able to find it for you.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
that's and idea also. I think it would work better if you kept short pieces (about 1-2") of the stock tube coming off both bungs and just used the high temp silicone in the middle to connect the two.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I finally came up with something. I appreciate the advice copper tubing. That's what I used. I was first concerned about high temp material. It is expensive (3/4 ft). I went around asking everyone for 1/2" stainless steel on a Saturday afternoon and got a bunch of no's. I went to hardware stores, appliance stores, auto stores, everywhere. You just have to be lucky to catch a 5.0 engine in a junkyard around here.

I messed up a lot. It seemed real easy at first but I learned a lot from it. It goes a lot easier when you know what your doing. I will never cut the piece and then try to bend it. It is much harder to bend shorter pieces. I went through 6 ft before getting something close. I only broke 2 1/2 bender tools from Harbor Freight (which are hard to find cheap). I have a flaring tool now. I thought I bought 1/2" tubing but when I used the flaring tool I had to use the 5/8's opening (just weird). I would take a picture of it but that MF is on there now. Now I have to figure what 1 inch tool I would need to use to tightened the bottom to the exhaust header because clearance is very little. It was like some heat shield material on it before but it was damaged. A spark plug boot cover was the closest thing to it. The place I know wanted 25 dollars for 2. For that price, I might as well kneel to the service department.

Ace Hardware was helpful. They let me just buy what I needed at the beginning even though I had to go back for more later. They even let me use their flaring tools and pipe cutter. I hate emissions. One day I will get rid of it all. It causes more problems for the individual than it does help. Most of the emissions crap is discontinued when I call the service department. Let me remind everyone that I hate emissions.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Whoa... too much work, boys!
Walker Exhaust makes a high-temp silicone exhaust accessory tubing. It's blue on the outside with a orange-red interior layer. Costs about $5-10 per foot. Buy one foot and it will last you 5-10 years, and clamp it over any remaining pipe you have sticking out of your EGR and the other end on the bung on your manifold. Hose clamp, and you're done.
I bought mine at O'Reilly's about 4 years ago and cut it long... sliding a bit up the EGR tube. When I removed it after a couple years to work on my lower intake, I cut off the bit that was on the manifold (actually LongTube) bung and scooted the rest down a bit, as it had gotten brittle at the tip.
I wish I had the part number, but if you find a good parts guy he should be able to find it for you.
what did you use to bend it with?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It caused a lot of problems with diagnosing problems. I had a pinging problem, stalling problem, fuel economy problem. I really could do without emissions. A lot of the parts they have discontinued and cost arms and legs when you get them from the dealer. The "service department" totally missed testing for the malfunctioned tube and vacuum line testing. They said I should rebuild the engine and make it a hot rod or try selling it to the next person that test drives it around the corner and it stalls. I found out about this after I took the engine out for rebuilding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts