Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will an F303 cam go in with my stock heads? if not, will an E cam work? if only a E cam works, anyone have an E cam to trade for my F am? hahah that alot of letters lol

Craig

·
Registered
24 Posts
The "F" cam will work with the stock heads. I think you can even get away with the "X" cam, correct me if I'm wrong guys. But that would be too much cam on your motor. You may come across the always nice, idle surge, after you install the cam. I got that when I installed my "E" cam.

·
Registered
333 Posts
jelloman said:
The "F" cam will work with the stock heads. I think you can even get away with the "X" cam, correct me if I'm wrong guys.
they wont work.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My engine is stock except for the F303. I LOVE it. Works fine with the stock heads and intake (of course it would work better with aftermarket). I plan on getting heads and an intake sometime, so might as well get the biggest cam I could right now, right?
The E cam is supposed to cause the most problems with the 94-95 computer. The F is a little better because of the higher lobe separation. I had no probs with mine. It idles fine without me adjusting the idle at all.
I felt a good seat-of-my pants improvement after installing the F303 on my STOCK heads and intake
Keep your F cam you'll love it.

Oh yea, I've heard something has to be modified to make the X303 work, not worth it on stock heads IMO

Andy

P.S. Whether you go with the E or the F, make sure you get new valve springs. Your 8yr old valve springs arent going to like a bigger cam. I recommend these...
Summit part # FMS-M-6513-A50 $99.95

·
Registered
889 Posts
Max Beetle said:
they wont work.
Not totally true, this is really something that should be checked from car to car. I've ran all three cams on my car (E, F, and X) w/1.7's on stock AND GT40 heads w/no problems w/clearance...but DEFINITELY check. The F cam should work on your stock heads w/out clearance problems...but I agree w/spikes95GT, if you're going to have that cam (or any cam for that matter) go into your car I would highly suggest some fresh springs and lifters...get some roller rockers too if you don't already have some. You should be ok w/idle and driveability. In all the combos I've had the F cam with (stock and GT40 heads) there wasn't much noted as far as idle problems go. It's definitely not the best choice out there, if it were up to me I'd go w/an E over the F, but alot of people stay away from the E cam for reasons noted above...Good luck though man.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The F-Cam will work fine. The heads on my car are off of a 95 GT and I have a F-Cam. I do have idle surge on occasion as well, but its nothing severe.

·
Registered
848 Posts
the f cam is actually the most computer friendly 94/95 cam from FMS. works well too! dont think it will work with 1.7s but with your 1.6's itll be fine!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Advertised duration: 288 intake/288 exhaust Duration @ .050 in. cam lift: 226 intake/226 exhaust
Gross valve lift: .512 intake/.512 exhaust
Lobe separation: 109 degrees intake/119 degrees exhaust
Peak horsepower rpm: 6,000
Peak torque rpm: 2,800

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info guys, i really appreciate it. i am going to stick with my F cam and go with some 1.6 roller rockers and new valve springs, ill probably do all this with my trust ole income tax money! gotta love that stuff lol what exactly is idle surge? again, thanx guys

Craig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts