Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i bought a lightning 5.8 lower for a 351 swap i'm planning and i noticed when i was cleaning it the runners are all smooth and have a polished appearance. It looks like it has faint lines running through it and i think maybe it has been extrude honed. I took a few pictures and was hoping someone could take a look and see if it in fact has been ported. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
when I ran a gt40 intake years ago I had my lower extrude honed and it looked exactly like your pics

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Vendor
12,657 Posts
Its not great for this hobby, for other industries im sure its fantastic. Basically forcing a media through a hole. You cant control where it flows, it follows the shape of existing hole so if you want to change a particular shape of a hole in different areas its useless. It was sorta hot many years ago.

·
Registered
924 Posts
From past experience it worked to allow better flow but is not as good ol' hand porting. You can do what I did back in the day when the only other intake available was a GT40 intake, I had a fully ported cut/welded then flowed stock 5.0 EFI intake. Then extrude honed it afterwards and had it flowed again which showed improvements but not huge by any means. I was hoping for better flow characteristics from the smooth and "straight" porting. Yea spent too much money but I never wanted to be like everyone. It had the volume and the velocity for fantastic street performance. No dynos to prove it as we did not have any chassis dynos in the 80s but plenty of timeslips and kill stories to prove it was one of the best setups for a street/strip combo......

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
you got a polished intake, not a ported one - but it should work fine for you, just be glad you didn't pay the big bucks to get it done.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you got a polished intake, not a ported one - but it should work fine for you, just be glad you didn't pay the big bucks to get it done.
Tmoss what do you think of the intake ports? They look kind of mis shapen do you think it'll effect flow any?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
that's the nature of the EH process - not selective in where the material comes off. That lower design is good enough that won't hurt.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's the nature of the EH process - not selective in where the material comes off. That lower design is good enough that won't hurt.
Ok thats good. As far as resale value do you think the extrude honing lowered the value or raised it?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
depends on the buyer, I'd be surprised if it hurt it at all, should add some value.
Ok awesome i was alittle unsure. I know most people looking for 351 GT40 lowers like the unmolested ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts