Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the Explorer pistons are the same as the GTs? I know they should be the same dimensionally,but is the metal the same(cast or hyperutectic).

I'm looking to do a motor swap in the near future and also a blower, an aluminum explorer longblock would be perferred due to the weight savings over the iron GT motor. If the pistons are the same it will save me a few bucks not having to change them right away to accomodate boost.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
all PI head engine have atleast the same dish cc. May have different pin sizes and fitting but should all be hyperutetic with graphite coating on the skirts.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody else? As long as the pistons are of the same material I should be cool to add boost to a explorer motor.

Thanks brian.

·
Registered
356 Posts
They are Hyperutectic the exact same thing as the 93 and up 302's But I've never seen an alluminum block from an explorer I dont think they are made, nor in a truck or Mustang. Mine is a 99 and it is Iron. I know that they dont come with alluminum heads.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just as long as you keep detenation out should be ok for around 10 psi of boost for a while. If your gonna use non pi heads then compression would be a bit under 9.0-1, better for boost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hardy Christensen said:
They are Hyperutectic the exact same thing as the 93 and up 302's But I've never seen an alluminum block from an explorer I dont think they are made, nor in a truck or Mustang. Mine is a 99 and it is Iron. I know that they dont come with alluminum heads.
Yes, there is an aluminum block (and heads for that matter) in an Explorer, and we aren't talking about a 302, we are talking 4.6. The 5.0 was used until 2001, in 2002 the Explorer received an all-aluminum Romeo PI 4.6. I have this very engine in my car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured the internals would be the same, its too costly for Ford to re-design or re-tool thier casting equipment rather than use an existing off the shelf part.

I bet the weight removed from a t-bird or cougar with one of these alumnium blocks could make a good power to weight performance gain. The prices on those are finally getting affordable around here, definately cool cars.

Thanks for all your replies, now to the hard part, finding one thats good for under 1,700!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts