Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished an engine swap this weekend and have found that my EGR plate does not seal properly on the Explorer intake.

I have thought about deleting it, but I run a Vortech supercharger and my discharge tube won't reach.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a solid spacer ( 2 inch) that will fit this manifold? I have searched Summit and Jegs and can't find anything thiker than 1 inch.

Thanks guys,

Scott

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
hmmm, you could just take the egr off the back of the plate and cover the hole, that way you do not need to worry about thickness.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but I will get a check engine light.

My vacume leak is coming from between the plenum and the spacer. The plenum is not the same shape as the EGR Plate on the bottom. Actually if I could find a metal plate to cover channels on the back side of the EGR spacer, I would be good to go.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
What you need to do is get a piece of aluminum or thin guage metal. You can purchase that stuff even at HomeDepot.

Then lay down the EGR spacer, trace and cut. Then take some silicone gasket maker and seal it to the EGR spacer. Then between that and the intake manifold, still run a gasket. That is what I did on mine for the past few years.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
ubermensch7031 said:
if you don't want a check engine light just pull your instrument cluster out and remove the bulb. takes about 10 min.
You dont understand the problem here. removing the light bulb will not seal the intake.

The 96.5+ explorer intakes are external EGR systems. They are like the Sn95 mustangs. Thus if you take the stock fox3 EGR spacer, you will have a HUGE hole on the back of the EGR as it is not sealed to the intake. Then with the internal passages in the EGR spacer, basically the intake will suck from this hole. Thus you have a MASSIVE leak in the intake.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt,
What did you use to cut the air passage hole? I don' t know what to use to cut a perfect circle 60mm in diameter? The rest of the cutting is no problem, but If I cut it with a wheel or hand snips, I will definately mess up the symetry.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Okay. Here it is with the later external EGR upper intake vs the EGR spacer:

First pic is the plate I made with the thin sheet aluminum:

Now here if you remove the EGR valve, you can use a fuel block off plate from a 351 cleveland. just elongate the holes to make it fit:

Now Here is the EGR plate that I have installed on the intake presently. It is about 1/2" thick aluminum. Basically removing the valve and giving you a place to bolt the throttle cable bracket to. You can see the stock gasket is still used. This is the UNDERSIDE of the intake:

Sorry for the fuzzy pics, but you should get the idea there of the shape. It is not straight across from the studs on the EGR. It follows the shape of the TB sized hole there. Thus the red line points to the 2 holes there that would lead to a vacuum leak if not blocked off:

For making the backing plate there, some tin snips and then a hole saw. mounted the plate to the EGR sensor and then basically dremeled the plate to match the hole on the EGR spacer. It was within about 1/8" after the holesaw. Not the most pretty thing there, but not seen when installed and is functional!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
blackout50 said:
Most of them have egr port in them.I have had 5 of them only 1 didn't
Most DONT!

Only the first year to 1.5 years had the INTERNAL EGR. Then the last 5 years all had EXTERNAL EGR.

This is the explorer 5.0 intake, not the cobra or GT40.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt,
Nice job. Thanks for the pics and tips on how to construct.

I have to get to work, so I can get my car to idle right.

Scott

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, I took the expensive way. I ordered spacer from acufab. It is a nice looking piece and solves the problem Now if I can get my EGR simulator so that I keep the check engine light off. I wll be all set.

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts