MAC Headers through no cats and flowmasters
MSD 6a w/ MSD coil
Aluminum Driveshaft
Subframe Connectors
MT ET Streets
77MM Pro M MAF
14 Degrees Timing
Pro 5.0

I need to know what size of a throttle body to run with the Explorer intake. 65mm or 70 mm.

Judging from other posts, it is safe to assume:

Explorer intake is only 67mm big. (So, if I threw a 70mm on, would that hurt performance?)

70mm allows for more room to grow.

65mm gives better low end torque.

65mm is good up to 300 horses.

So, which one should I get and why? Its my daily driver, with frequent stops at our 1/8 mile strip. The goal is better ET's.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
65 is good for 400 horses and that is what I used. We have very similar set-ups but I maintained the stock cam.

·
Registered
35,590 Posts
Previous poster's spot on -- there's no benefit to going with a larger throttle body unless the smaller one is the bottleneck to more flow. The 65mm is good for quite a bit more HP than your combo will produce. The 70 won't gain you anything, and may compromise small throttle opening drivability. Also, without different heads, I suspect you'll be a lot happier with the stock cam than with that E. It's probably actually going to hurt overall performance with the stock heads. On Ford's 315HP alum. headed crate motor, there's only 10 HP difference between the E cam and stock cam, and all of that's above 4000 rpm. The stock cam is stronger below that level. If I were in your shoes, I'd save the cam change until I did the heads - and even then I'd be careful what I picked.

Has your Explorer got egr passages and do you need them? You know you've got to relocate your ACT sensor, right? Have fun!

·
Registered
177 Posts
On relocating the ACT sensor. I am looking at my Explorer intake and there is a boss cast into the intake, just no hole for the sensor to screw in to. Now it would be easy to drill and tap for the 3/8 NPT, but when I pulled a sensor off of '90 5.0, I found that sensor to be rather nasty and caked with junk. What's the best place to put the sensor? In the manifold or somewhere ahead of the MAF sensor? Are the sensors calibrated for different locations? The Explorer intake is rather unique. It is very similar to a Cobra style cast intake with the staggered round ports, but the mounting point for the EGR and TB are in the same location as a standard 5.0 HO motor. I still have the Explorer intake elbow that attached the TB to the intake, but I think I am going to switch to a GT style EGR plate and TB.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm not gonna be relocating the ACT sensor since SN-95's have them mounted before the MAF.

Michael, the stuff listed below the Explorer Intake are already INSIDE of the car. I'm not taking the E303 out.

And for those who hate the E303, it with 1.6 RR's and Comp springs (Oops, forgot to list the roller rockers) shaved about .4 off of my ET in the 1/8. I'm not kidding.

So, the decision is 65mm? Thanks for the replys. Now, who makes the best one for the price?

·
Registered
35,590 Posts
DarkMesa - apologies; in an exchange before you told me the E was in already, and I simply forgot. BTW, the new Ford Motorsport 65mm T/B comes with brand new IAB solenoid and TPS sensors. If yours aren't new, and you're changing throttle bodies anyway, it's a good way to replace those also.

cdaspit - I mounted my ACT in the elbow just upstream of the throttle body. That pretty much takes care of pcv oil vapor crud problems, and I felt alot better about drilling and tapping something much easier to fix/replace than the manifold if I screwed it up. My intake tubing consists of mandrel bent ells in 3" and 3.5". I drilled and JB welded a bushing into the elbow that had the 3/8" NPT female thread for the sensor, and then extended the wiring harness.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Michael, didn't mean to come off sounding like an @$$. All of your knowledge is valuable to me. Thanks for your input.

Mars 302, how did the Explorer intake work out for you? What else have you done with it? Times?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
all in the sig, but I hope to improve on them when I get a few things sorted out with the tranny and better weather

·
Registered
700 Posts
So what size injector did you end up using? The techs on Ford's racing hotline said 30lb injectors with the m-6007-xb3/xe3. A lot of people are using 24lb. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I will be using a GT40 intake, 65mm TB, and 75mm MAF on the XE3.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i got my explorer on, 94 cobra lower/96 explorer upper.....before the intake swap on my relatively stock motor (full exhaust, ignition, cai, 70mmTB/egr, 73mmc&l &24#'ers), i pulled ~220rwhp/290rwtq, nice sotp high end kick....no timeslips tho, my tranny fubared before i was going to put my 4.10s in :blam: ..... now all i need is some twisted wedge heads and a decent cam and i'll be happy for a minute :leghump:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Ok, but are 30lbers too much? Why does Ford recommend going with 30 and not 24? Are there any disadvantages going with a 30lb injector on the m-6007-xe3?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts