Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with Hooker Super Comp headers on their 302?
Reviews on Summit all suck, but a few people at my local drag strip run them on gutted engine bay setups and dont have any issues. Feeling mixed about it.

·
Old timer
6,567 Posts
Comments on header installations should be taken with a grain of salt. Most novices haven't a clue except to biotch on Yelp or other such places if they break a finger nail...

Headers are not a bolt on... PERIOD...

Some people need a different hobby... Checkers or Tic-Tac-Toe come to mind. ;)

Reactions: SS BRP

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine are AWESOME!! slip fit on 2 tubes. Makes removal install super easy.
tubular K/A though fwiw.
Got any pictures of them installed? The bad reviews have me looking else where, but there arent a lot of options when it comes to long tube 1-3/4 headers for the 302 anymore.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Comments on header installations should be taken with a grain of salt. Most novices haven't a clue except to biotch on Yelp or other such places if they break a finger nail...

Headers are not a bolt on... PERIOD...

Some people need a different hobby... Checkers or Tic-Tac-Toe come to mind. ;)

True. When I see people complaining about putting in a set of long tubes, you’d think they have to take them out and put them in multiple times a week, on the same car.

**** takes some work to install sometimes, but a lot of things worth the effort ain’t easy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yup grain of salt
I.mentioned in another post getting my kids headers to fit wasn't that bad. But I am , I will say decent fabricator.
if I say it it isn't that bad. That maybe to much for someone with not many tools or patience to handle

·
Registered
272 Posts
Jig building usually never fits as good as the original

·
Registered
198 Posts
The term "bolt-on" should have been banished long ago. Almost nothing it truly "bolt-on".
This is correct. From my perspective, a "bolt-on" part is a "replacement" part from a Ford Dealer on a completley stock OEM Mustang. Any Mustang owner with a non-stock tubular K-Member, or non-stock aftermarket motor mounts, or non-stock cylinder heads or anything else on either the engine or chassis is going to have problems if he thinks that he can purchase "bolt-on" parts that actually bolt on with no potential fitment issues. Sure, it can happen, but most so-called "bolt-on" engine components rarely just bolt on without some massaging or modification. Headers, and specifically production headers, are a perfect example. If you want to modify your car or add modifications to the engine it's important to have a "hot rod mentality", meaning a WILLINGNESS to do whathever it takes to make your non-stock component fit your non-stock combination.

·
Dean Scheidt
3,500 Posts
I had the Hooker 6227 headers. They have two tubes on each side that are slip fit to help with installation. However, they will leak and be annoying if going in a street car. The exhaust leaks were the most annoying part. They also needed to be tweaked slightly due to the collectors not lining up with the humps in the transmission cross member.

As Ed stated already, headers are most likely not going to be a simple bolt-in modification. And depending on what other modifications you have, it may make the installation that much more frustrating. Remember that the header manufactures engineer their headers to fit completely stock OEM cars meaning that any aftermarket parts can make them have clearance issues.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the Hooker 6227 headers. They have two tubes on each side that are slip fit to help with installation. However, they will leak and be annoying if going in a street car. The exhaust leaks were the most annoying part. They also needed to be tweaked slightly due to the collectors not lining up with the humps in the transmission cross member.

As Ed stated already, headers are most likely not going to be a simple bolt-in modification. And depending on what other modifications you have, it may make the installation that much more frustrating. Remember that the header manufactures engineer their headers to fit completely stock OEM cars meaning that any aftermarket parts can make them have clearance issues.
I’ll be adding a Tubular trans crossmember by Stifflers for that, do you know if that alone would be enough to just attach a straight pipe onto the collector or does it need a dog leg pipe to bend around it?

·
Dean Scheidt
3,500 Posts
Did you mention which transmission you have? I was working with an AOD during my header installation so I had very few options for long tube headers compared to the 5-speed guys.

Which engine mounts do you have? Which steering shaft? Do you have an aftermarket k-member? Any modifications from stock will affect how they will fit. I wish that an aftermarket k-member would have been one of my first modifications because it makes it so much easier to install headers and pretty much easier to work on anything under the engine.

As for the Stiffler's transmission crossmember, it created more conflicts than my stock one. I didn't like it so I returned it. I ended up modifying my stock one and it turned out great for my situation.

Good luck with your header installation and most of all, Have Fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.