Ford Mustang Forums banner

Exhaust setup opinions

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Nate20gt 
#1 ·
Just purchased a new PP1 GT with active exhaust! While I'm impressed with how it sounds stock, its not really what I'm looking for. My last mustang was an 01 with Mac flowpaths and a catless prochamber. It definitely had some drone but sounded AMAZING. No rasp and a really clean deep tone. I know that the coyotes will never sound like my old 2V, but what catback would give a deep, non-raspy tone, if any? I don't mind a little drone either. I've listened to many YouTube videos but it's hard to tell. I don't really like the sound of anything I'm hearing
. What are some of your favorite setups you have heard in person? BTW, I have already ordered a H-pipe.

See less See more
#2 ·
the factory active sounds the best

i have heard many aftermarket manuf in person, they all sound like ass, even if they dont drone

go to local cars and coffee and listen in person

pick what you like

#3 · (Edited)
I'm picking up a new S550 in the near future and I've been studying and researching exhaust systems for these cars. What sounds good is very subjective. I have friends with S550s and don't like any of their systems - stock sounds best to me by default and with active exhaust you can easily control the volume. The major difference between your 2001 and an S550 is the position of the muffler and a completely different type of engine which inherently make very different exhaust noises. Having the muffler at the very rear vs underneath the floor pan makes it difficult to find a more true muscle car like sound/tone. The very high cylinder pressures of the Coyote combined with the rear muffler inherently create a snappy/crackly/raspy sound when you deviate from stock as the factory resonators and muffler design quell the snappy/crackly sounds. I personally do not like the snap and crackle sounds at all.

The one system/muffler sound that I'm leaning toward the most is Stainless Works (Legend not the Redline)... I've been doing the muscle car thing since I've been 16 so I'm personally well past making more noise, there are many days where I'd love to fly well under the radar in a 500+ horse hot rod and not have everyone cracking their neck when I'm out for a Sunday cruise or pulling into a parking lot, especially because I don't want to piss people off nor do I want to contribute to more laws that take our freedoms away to modify our cars. Loud exhausts unleashed in the wrong places by idiots will eventually ruin it for all.... anyway, I digress...

Here is a good video of the Stainless Works options:

I could possibly live with the Borla S type as well, absolutely not the ATAK.

Overall, I haven't found anything aftermarket that I truly like, just some that are tolerable at best... Ford's active exhaust/solution is fantastic IMHO. In town run it on quiet and when you get into remote areas and want to play a bit, open her up!

#4 ·
Another difference between the '01 4.6 and the 5.0 DOHC is the firing order. As a result they sound different. The 4.6/302HO/351W firing order sounds better IMO. I don't know why Ford went with the Mustang Coyote firing order being different. I suspect it helps top end power production and the 351W firing order helps low/mid range because the F150 5.0 DOHC returned to the 351W firing order in 2015. They wouldn't do that for no reason.

The S550 5.0 can't sound like the 4.6 because of the firing order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.