Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my 2.5" o/r h-pipe is restricted down to a 2" opening...what's the point in that?? I'm assuming to accommodate a wider range of connections. Anyway, can I grind the opening larger to 2.5"? Will I run into exhaust leaks if I do that?

Thanks

·
Registered
36,574 Posts
Look at your own picture -- see the 'carbon' line that indicates where the other part of the exhaust system is sealing against the ball in the picture? If you open the 'hole' up anywhere close to that line, you have a good chance of creating an exhaust leak. Careful....this one restriction in diameter doesn't do much to restrict flow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at your own picture -- see the 'carbon' line that indicates where the other part of the exhaust system is sealing against the ball in the picture? If you open the 'hole' up anywhere close to that line, you have a good chance of creating an exhaust leak. Careful....this one restriction in diameter doesn't do much to restrict flow.
Thanks for the input. Once I put it back on the car, I'm going to see where my new flowtubes line up on the ball...then open it up within reason.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I cut mine off and put a real collector on there, slip fit FTW!

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Any good muffler shop can create new ball collector fittings for you that maintain the inside diameter of the pipe, or close to it. I did it once, just had to make sure the pipes bolted on straight to get a good seal, as there wasn't as much surface area as on the one you pictured.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts