Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 gt and last week I added flowmaster 40s to the exhaust. I was so disapointed at how quite they were, they were just a tad louder than stock and a little deeper. I love the sound when I can actually hear it. So I have decided to get rid of the factory h pipe. But I cant decide if I want an h pipe with or without cats. My main concern with not using cats is the check engine light coming on. I know they make mil eliminators but does anyone know how well they work or how hard they are to install. I just want a deep tone, loud but not so loud I cant talk in the car. Will the 40 series flowmaster and an off road h pipe provide me this sound. I live in ky so I am not tested ever for emmisions.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
i was in the same situation as you on my 93. i added a flowmaster cat back and wasnt happy with just that. while my 5.0 will sound different than your 4.6 this still applies. i bought a flowtech o/r h pipe without the cats and i love it. it sounds awesome but i will warn you, it gets MUCH louder with an o/r h on there. good luck, id say go for the o/r pipe for the most sound and performance.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you aren't sure which you're going to like my advice is to first head over the the Sound Room at MustangExhaust.com (see sig) so you can compare the relative loudness of different exhaust setups. If you're still not sure I'd buy the off-road h-pipe first to try it out. Off-roads are about half the price of catted h-pipes so if you decide you don't like it you can still get most of your money back by selling it. There's always some horsepower fiend out there ready to buy an off-road pipe :D.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts