Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably laughable but has any one ever joined slip joints with J. B. Weld or some similar product? I can't weld and hate using clamps. Although my thought was to use a clamp to crimp the joints then seal them with something. Any thoughts? I want to keep using an off road x pipe set up but can't get a muffler shop to touch the car without the cats.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't think JB weld will take the heat.

Consider using a set of stainless steel band clamps. They seal very well, and won't distort the shape of your pipe. They stretch when you install them, so they are really only good for one use, but it is very nice if you ever want to take the joint apart or whatever. You can get them from JC Whitney for about $8 ea (cheapest I've found).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah i don't think J.B well stand the heat, i used a heat gun to see if it would dry faster and all it did was melt the J.B weld, but the gun was used to dry paint on cars maybe it was too hot, I would just use some clamps.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You don't have to take it to an exhaust shop to have it welded. Look in the yellow pages of the phone book and find a welding or metal fabrication shop. Call them and ask if they will weld it. Since they are not an exhaust shop, they shouldn't care whether you have cats or not. Plus they will weld better anyway.
just my $0.02

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for the info. I"m glad I didn't learn this one the hard way! And I think I will try to find a couple of fab shops to see if they'll do it. That's a great idea.

·
Registered
100 Posts
also try body shops.....i got 2 suspension brace brackets welded at one....cost me $35.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts