Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PLease Help!!!Exact way to change coolant.

I need how much antifreeze to water does it take to make a 60/40 ratio.

Ive heard many different opinions but by the book how do you change the coolant, burp it , and also what fluid brand and what ratio?

Thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
When I did mine I just opened up the drain on the radiator and drained it. Then I removed one of the lower hoses connected to the engine and drained all the coolant out of the motor if I remember right i just undid the thermostat housing and let it drain cant remember. I used a 60/40 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water to fill it back up. When i refilled it I unscrew the fitting on the U shaped coolant rail and filled it to the top then i filled the reservoir up with coolant/water also.I Put the coolant rail plug back in and started the car. I let it get up to temp checked the fluid level in the reservoir and thats basically it. Just make sure you dont get any air into the system and you wont have any problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Coolant

The Cobra must be filled and burped properly(20-30 minute process) to get any air out of the syustem.

There is a fill plug on the crossover tube on the front of the motor. You need to connect all the hoses back up, and fill it with coolant through that small 1/2" fitting. Then idle the motor for a long time and watch the coolant level. It will burp from that opening many, many times over a 30 min. period..it's a pain, but quite necessary.

If you don't purge the air, the engine coolant temp sensor will see steam pockets and the air/fuel ratio will go crazy..car won't run.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
-Drain radiator at stopcock and close stopcock.
-Fill radiator with fresh water.
-Pull off big hose from water neck to thermostat.
-Start engine and allow it to run with heater on until operating temp reached, while continuously filling system with garden hose through detached upper hose.
-Flush until clear through several cycles of thermostat. You may repeat this step.
-drain radiator.
-fill radiator with distilled water.
-displace tap water in system with distilled water through several cycles of thermostat by pouring into filler hole on crossover neck. Make sure heater is on.
-Close system.
-drain radiator. Fill radiator with 100 % antifreeze.
-leave cap off radiator and add antifreeze until system is full and you don't see any big air bubbles.

That's it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I use distilled water instead of tap water for the fillup. 50/50 mixture works well, but if your location is hotter 'n hell (anywhere south of the mason dixon line near sealevel), then go with a higheer %age of waterup to 70/30.

I discourage tap water because of all of the minerals present. Eventualy, they will clog things up. Some use RO water while others swear by Deionized water. Distilled water (usully under a buck a gallon in the grocery store) is pure enough for me.

I ALWAYS coat the threads of the 'U'Tube fill with antisieze. If you strip out the square hole, you will have to replace the entire 'U'Pipe (unless you can get the plug from a junkyard). After filling and burping as detailed in previous posts, I check the level in the 'U'Tube and top off the next few mornings. Usually 2 times will do it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
SnakeBit said:
If you strip out the square hole, you will have to replace the entire 'U'Pipe (unless you can get the plug from a junkyard).
The plug is available....

Link to earlier post

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You still have an engine full of water even if the radiator is empty. If you fill the radiator with antifreeze (about a gallon and a half), it'll mix with water in the engine to approx. the proper ratio once the engine is started. Add water or antifreeze to get the ratio however you want it. I use 1 gal of antifreeze in the system (about a 70/30).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts