Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My throw out bearing has been making lots of noise for some time now and it's to the point where it is ALWAYS making noise unless the clutch is pushed in. It used to only make noise on occasion, but I can almost always hear at least a little squealing now. I've been letting it go without taking it to the dealer because I think my T-45 is on it's way out too...I'm trying to wait until it's a little more obvious (the tranny that is) because I'd hate to not have the car for that long of time on two seperate occasions. My question...what will eventually happen if I keep letting this thing make noise without replacing it? I'm assuming that it will seize up...what damage might that cause? If it happens out on the road, will I still be able to drive it? At least enough to get it back home or to the dealer?

Thanks for the help!
Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well mine made noises a lot and one day it just decided to blow to pieces. Kinda scared me when it made a horrible shrieking noise all the time. It woke up people when i drove it to a friend's house to replace it. When we pulled the tranny off, the TO bearing's ball bearings poured out of the bell housing. It was kinda funny but one huge PITA. I just replaced the clutch at the same time, as it was going out too. I'd have it checked out. Try to put some grease or something on it. You can take off the clutch box on the bottom left side of the tranny and reach your hand up in there and lube the h*ll outa it. Try that before replacing it.

-Clinton

[edit] sorry, I didn't answer everything. Mine was driveable, but I wouldn't realy recommend it for too long. Luckily I didn't damage my input shaft when all h*ll broke loose under there, but I hear that can be a result. Just food for though...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I experienced the same problem that you are and even went as far as installing a King Cobra Clutch with no success. This is what I did to eventually eliminate the noise.

First my mechanic and I put the car on a lift with me in it and the car running in Neutral. While the car was in the air, he removed the cover around the clutch fork and had me reproduce the noise. After a matter of seconds, he was able to notice a vibration in the Clutch Fork and when he held the clutch fork(same effect as putting pressure on the pedal), the noise would stop. In order to stop the noise, we removed the clutch and we found abnormal wear in the area that the Clutch Fork rests and pivots on the pin. He was able to place some High Temprature grease in this area and the noise went away. If we had the parts to do everything right, we would have replaced the Clutch Fork and the Pin that it pivots on, however I think this will take care of the problem.

Sorry, if this made zero sense but it solved my problem and hopefully it does the same for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The dealership told me all I needed was for it to be greased. Fixed it right up.
Service guy was cool, but the mechanic behaved like he didn't think I knew what I was talking about. "It's the throwout bearing, dammit! I don't keep a friggin' bird's nest under my car."

·
Registered
109 Posts
WTF? is this true what I'm hearing ?

I have had my TOB squeking for about a month now and it is just like DU302's situation, it eventually got to the point where it just constantly squeaks......
my tranny has been a little notchy and harder to put in gear, I thought the TOB was the problem.....
my car is a daily driver and I was going to replace the tranny at the same time as the TOB, but now I read this and the only thing I have to do is rip off the little box around the clutch fork and grease the pivot point of the clutch fork ?
I always thought that I would have to replace the TOB for it to stop, I have a king cobra clutch also

WOW !
I would go try it right now but my driveway is all wet

·
Registered
680 Posts
I drove my car with a bad t/o bearing for 3k miles before I replaced it. Eventually, it will become hard to shift, and, if it does fall apart, you could damage the input shaft, pilot bearing, clutch and pressure plate.

When I had mine replaced (14k miles ago), I put in an adjustable clutch cable and quadrant. Now, I'm able to keep the right amount of pressure on the t/o bearing so it rests properly on the fingers of the pressure plate. Knock on wood, no trouble thus far.

·
Registered
680 Posts
wido78 said:
I experienced the same problem that you are and even went as far as installing a King Cobra Clutch with no success. This is what I did to eventually eliminate the noise.

First my mechanic and I put the car on a lift with me in it and the car running in Neutral. While the car was in the air, he removed the cover around the clutch fork and had me reproduce the noise. After a matter of seconds, he was able to notice a vibration in the Clutch Fork and when he held the clutch fork(same effect as putting pressure on the pedal), the noise would stop. In order to stop the noise, we removed the clutch and we found abnormal wear in the area that the Clutch Fork rests and pivots on the pin. He was able to place some High Temprature grease in this area and the noise went away. If we had the parts to do everything right, we would have replaced the Clutch Fork and the Pin that it pivots on, however I think this will take care of the problem.

Sorry, if this made zero sense but it solved my problem and hopefully it does the same for you.
Help me out, I'm confused :confused: Did you have to remove the transmission and clutch assembly, or did you reach up through the clutch fork access cover and lube it that way?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am going to replace my tranny soon, I am getting one rebuilt then I will swap them out, but I won't be changing my clutch I don't think.....will have to check it out when I get the tranny out

anyways if I don't get a new clutch can I but just a TOB ?

·
Registered
680 Posts
TRKpony said:
anyways if I don't get a new clutch can I buy just a TOB ?
Yup, you can get just a TOB.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In order to do what I described, you need to remove the tranny and the clutch, because you can't remove the Clutch Fork with everything assembled. After you remove the tranny take the clutch fork off and grease the inside were it rests on this pivot point and the pivot point itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.