Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scanned a 32 error code.

This is egr valve out of range. What does this mean? How can I fix it? Check Engine Light will come on then off during normal driving...kind of annoying.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I had it. It is EGR Valve position sensor out of range. It's the whote sensor on the EGR valve. You can go to the parts store and get a new one or you can do what I did and go steal a EGR out of a boneyard and clean it and install that. That cleared my code

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had the same code but all i did was take the EGR off, clean it, and i also took off the sensor and squirted some oil in there because it was binding inside. This is one of the most common codes but its usually an easy fix.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Forgot to add that i already had tried to clean it and lube it up but still had the code. That's when i decided to just replace it

·
Registered
898 Posts
Mustang5L5 said:
Forgot to add that i already had tried to clean it and lube it up but still had the code. That's when i decided to just replace it
Yeah its worth a try, sometimes cleaning it works, sometimes it doesnt. In the 5 years i've owned my car i've had to clean the EGR twice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Code 32 means the sensor voltage is lower than expected for a closed valve (less than 0.29 volts). A dirty EGR valve will not cause this code.

It could be a mechanical problem with the way the sensor is connected to the valve, but is most likely caused by a bad sensor.

A dirty EGR valve will not seat fully, causing sensor voltage to increase. This will generate a code 34.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Zee said:
Code 32 means the sensor voltage is lower than expected for a closed valve (less than 0.29 volts). A dirty EGR valve will not cause this code.

It could be a mechanical problem with the way the sensor is connected to the valve, but is most likely caused by a bad sensor.

A dirty EGR valve will not seat fully, causing sensor voltage to increase. This will generate a code 34.
Oops your right, i just checked my records and its a 34 i've had a few times, sorry.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
computers_suc said:

Oops your right, i just checked my records and its a 34 i've had a few times, sorry.
Ouch....same here!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
What do you use to clean it? My EGR valve and sensor only have 3k miles on it and I am getting this code. I don't have vacuum applied to the EGR valve either. I get an intermittent rough idle and crappy cruise manners. Some carb cleaner to clean it up and then spray some WD-40 or something like on it to provide some lubrication?

Thanks,
Casey

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
C. Johnson said:
I don't have vacuum applied to the EGR valve either

Casey
Not having vacuum applied to the valve is probably what is causing the code. When the eec trys to open the valve, it expects a higher reading to indicate that the valve opened successfully. If no opening, you get the error code. The sensor is there to monitor the function of the EGR valve. If it isn't functioning (no vacuum), you will get error codes.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I fought a error code 34 for a couple of weeks, cleaned the EGR valve (it was stuck closed) and replaced the EVP sensor but no change. Bought a hand vacuum pump and tested both the EGR valve and the EVP sensor, both tested good but still had the code 34.

Checked the vacuum going to the EVR solenoid (vacuum line connects from EVR to EVP and monitored the vacuum). At idle the EVR would not show any vacuum but if you rev it then you get about 2-4in.HG vacuum. and then bounces back to 0in.HG ( I thought that I had a bad EVR because the vacuum source going to the EVR showed constant 20in.HG at idle.

Only after finally swapping out the EGR valve did the condition go away(only did that because one of the posts snapped off when swapping out the EVP sensor multiple times).
Even though the EGR valve appeared to be working and tested OK it was the culprit as far as I'm concerned. Now I get code 11's on both KOEO & KOER. This may or may not be your problem but it seemed to fix mine.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts