Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I can find very little info on the benefit of different headers. Is there a source of info somewhere on this? I try searching here but the searches on the subject always turn up a list WAY too long to sort through.

Equal vs. Unequal length?
Long vs. Short?
Whatever else...

I know basically what the physical differences are, but what is the benefit to each option?

help please?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Just my opinion, so everyone, don't start flaming me if you don't agree.

Equal length vs. Unequal Length - Equal length have maybe a 3-5 HP advantage, it's entirely up to you if you want to spend the extra $50-$60 for 3-5 HP.

Longtubes vs. Shorties - Long tubes are a big PITA to install and get in the way of everything, but they sound alot meaner than shorties. I had long tubes on mine, then went to shorties, and there was absolutely no difference in E.T.

Like I said, Just my opinion based on personal experience. I have tried all 3 types and I like my Equal Length shorties the best (as far as ease of install/in the way of stuff). But on the other hand, my car sounded mean as hell with the longtubes. But I think the trade-off wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Oops! DP!

·
Banned
718 Posts
I had equals for a couple of years and got rid of them. PITA to change plugs and I kept burning my ignition wires. I am much happier now.:cool:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Equal vs unequal = Get unequal and be happy if you decide to go shorties. Equals are a tremendous PITA and are not worth the aggravation to gain the 3-4hp you'll get from installing them.

Shorties vs Longs = My theory, after having all 3 types is GO LONG TUBES OR GO HOME!! The install is not that bad if you have some patience and the right tools for the job. The car sounds better, makes more power, plug changes are a cinch, and the dreaded "drone zone" is all but history.

I've had MAC equal shorties that were individual flange. Hated em'! They sucked! The go in easy once and never again. They burn anything they touch and plug chances are a nightmare. Nevermind actually trying to get the header bolts installed with the damn tubes in the way!!

FRPP ceramic shorties are unequal. They have a single flange design which makes install a breeze and keeps the flanges from warping due to heat cycling. Easy to install and looked great. No real downside at all when compared to the MAC.

Now I run BBK 1 3/4" Longtubes with Jet-Hot coating. The install is slightly more involved than shorties in that you have to unbolt your motor mounts and jack the motor up high enough to slide them in. You'll also need to remove your starter and steering shaft to make the install easier. Besides that, they go in pretty easily. Taking off the extras to get them installed equates to about 30 minutes extra time.....whoopie-doo! Once bolted in, these things rock! Throttle response is improved, power has improved, and the sound is just a nice byproduct.

Of course, with Longtubes you will need a new H pipe. Shorites utilize the stock one or stock type replacement. LTs need a "short" H. If you can swing the cost and have 2 opposable thumbs, then you can install LTs without any problem.

Just my .02.... ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heh? which is it?

Wow, two opinions...about as opposite as you can get.

One guy says plug changes are difficult, the other says no problem...which?

Anyone else want to chime in? Please...

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Re: heh? which is it?

unsquare said:

I was the one that said no problem on the plugs with equals. I can change all 8 plugs in under 15 minutes, no B.S.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I can do plug changes on my BBK Longtubes in under 15 minutes also.....my MAC equals were a PITA all the way. I would never put equals on anyone's car.

The majority of people who know anything about Mustangs will tell you to skip the equals and get unequals if you go shorties. The unequals make just as much power (within a couplea HP) and they are much easier to deal with. If you have a choice between shorties and LTs, go LTs.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
usually the only people who are patient enough to deal with equals are the ones who need all the horse power they can get. like in a heads up racing class or something. for street cars everyone will say either go longtubes or unequals. i on the other hand have the patients to install the equals and to check every week or so to make sure the plug wires aren't touching the headers. i want that extra horse power. that's just me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the 1 5/8 equal length flowtechs on my car, installation was actually real easy I was shocked. I can get them in and out of the car without even having to remove the sparkplugs. Number 4 cylinder is the only one that is really a porblem to change the plug, but its still not that bad.

I think shortys are better for low end torque, and LT are better for higher RPM horsepower. Someone correct me if I wrong.

Ryan

·
Banned
718 Posts
Re: heh? which is it?

unsquare said:
Wow, two opinions...about as opposite as you can get.

Anyone else want to chime in? Please...
I guess it depends on the brand of header and whether the car's an SN95 or Fox. The Macs on my SN95 were a pain to install on the drivers side and plugs on the passenger side were a pain to change because of the EGR tube.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fox body

The car is a fox body.
What brands should be avoided? What should I look for? Although my cold air intake is MAC, I had heard to stay away from their headers.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
technically long tubes are emissions illegal, but technically so are most all after market cross over pipse because even the ones with cats ony have 2. if they inspect really well in your area you won't be able to get away with long tubes. if the people are dumb or you know someone at the inspection place you may be able to get away with it. if you go with shorties you can at least put the stock h pipe back on for the inspection.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cats

I'm pretty new to the mustang world.
How many cats does the Mustang (fox 5.0) have? 4?

Are all of them required to pass inspection in most states?

Does the tube part of the LTs take up the room that the cats did previously?

It is really sounding like Unequal Shorties are the best all around option...anything would be better than the stocks...yes?

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you have a fox and want Equal Length Shorties, you can't go wrong with the Bassani pieces. I have the ceramic Equal Lengths, and I dont have any of the problems some have claimed. Very nice pieces, plug wires are no closer to the primaries than they were when I had longtubes - plug access is just as easy, if not easier.

They're a little pricey, buy you get what you pay for!

Take it easy!
josh

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Re: cats

unsquare said:
I'm pretty new to the mustang world.
How many cats does the Mustang (fox 5.0) have? 4?

Are all of them required to pass inspection in most states?

It is really sounding like Unequal Shorties are the best all around option...anything would be better than the stocks...yes?
I think the '89-'93s all had 4 cats. Not sure about other years. California inspects for the correct number of cats (unless you have an aftermarket with the proper CARB # - even then they can get pissy about it). When MN was still doing emissions, the lacky looked for the presence of cats, but the pass/fail was based on the test results. The Bassani provided great numbers.

I've had both equal & unequal shorties. I thought the unequals had a slightly smoother sound and changing plugs was somewhat annoying. I went with FMS ceramic shorties mainly for the ease of install, the lack of heat generated, and the slightly better access to the plugs. I have A/C, so the engine bay is a bit more cramped than those without it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts