Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the ol' 5.0 to start back up after putting a bunch of new goodies on.

The engine is a rebuild from about 4K miles ago, and has a Cobra intake, FMS B-cam, Edelbrock 65mm TB, Kirban AFPR (haven't touched it yet, out of the box setting), Pro-M 75mm MAF meter (cal'd properly), FMS 24# injectors, BBK cold air induction, and an MSD cap/rotor with FMS wire plugs. Also has the NGK plugs (0660 I think? whatever they are, they're nothing fancy) gapped to .054 as recommended by NGK.

When I finally got it to start up yesterday, my friend and I set the timing at 14 degrees. It gave us some crap for a while and refused to fire (no backfires or anything, just a whole lot of cranking and nothing else) and the plugs were showing it was running rich. So we waited 20 minutes and then it fired right up. I left from there and went to another friend's house. Shut it off, got out, got back in and then it wouldn't start back up. So I again waited 20 minutes or so and it started back up like a champ. When the car is running/idling/whatever, it is perfectly sound. Doesn't idle like garbage, or surge or bog or miss or anything of the like. Now my question is....WTF?????

It sounds to me like the engine is still taking fuel in after the spark is shut off, and it's leaving fuel that needs to dry up, hence the 20 minute waiting periods. But I know nothing in this department and that's just my guess.

Can anyone help me out here?
:mad:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years ago and it turned out to be the Fuel pump, dunno why it was flooding me though,but it did. I would try the TFI first,then check fuel pressure.

One thing I found that worked,although it's a PITA,is to unplug inertia switch,turn engine over,it will fire up for a sec or at least try,then plug it back in and it would start right up.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Even if the fuel pump is still running after you shut the car off, your injectors won't be running. So the pump will just be pushing fuel through the lines and back into the tank. In order for their to be fuel in the combustion chamber you have to have both your fuel pump working and the injectors firing (or leaking). Were these 24s new or used?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the injectors were used, but only for about 250 miles or so. I know they were, got 'em off a close buddy. i checked all the o-rings and replaced any that looked "shady". fuel pump primes fine, and my FP at idle is about 35-36.

And clue me in...what's a TFI module? I probably already know, but just ummm reinform me. ;)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I agree with slow5oh. Are you very sure that those injects are that new?? You should never had any o-rings that looked "Shady" if they were only 250 miles old, I had a set that were 3 or 4 years old and there were no shady o-rings on them, had been remove and put back in 4 or 5 times. I would have those injectors flowed. The only way that fuel could be getting in is if they a leaking down into the intake and or the cylinder if the valve is open.
I think your problem maybe a lack of fuel pressure at start up, when you turn on the car you should here the pump running and then stop, at this time you should be up to full pressure if not the something is up with your pump. I had a old stock pump once that after it warmed up the car would restart until the pump cooled down.
Check those injectors or that fuel pump.
Hope this helps.
Len

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The TFI module is the Ford name for the ignition module. It hangs down under the base of the distributor and the wires hook to it. They do go bad mainly from heat absorbtion. Once they cool off they work again for a short time. Enough to get you to a parts store I suppose. Ford actually had a recall on this part for this problem.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update....

Drove the car again tonight. Started up fine, had to start it twice, but that's usual with the cold weather here. Drove fine, and I came home and shut it off. Tried to start it back up, and it cranked slowly and then fired up. Shut it down again and started it back up and it fired up perfectly. Maybe the computer just needs to get used to the extra fuel?

BTW, the pump is fine. I just replaced it (Walbro 190lph pump).

I'm driving the car to DTS for some work on Saturday. It's a good 30 mile trip from my house. That should break it in, or break it. We'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts