Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine turns over, doesn't fire - - UPDATE

So, I drove home last night, parked the car, shut it off.

This morning, the starter turns the engine just fine, but it doesn't start. The battery is stout, the lights work, I can hear the fuel pump come to pressure.

I'm at work now (car-pooled with the wife), but just trying to figure what could possibly cause this, out of the blue. First thing to try tonight is the coil, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I doubt the coil is the issue, good chance of it being a bad pickup sensor in the distributor. This is a very good chance if you've still got the original Ford OEM distributor and its got high miles on it. Did you check for spark yet? I saw that you heard the fuel pump so spark is next on the list.

·
Registered
414 Posts
happened to my camaro one time, the hei chip went out, pulled the distributor apart put a new one in it and fired right up.. happened to me going down the highway - lucky you got home

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I doubt the coil is the issue, good chance of it being a bad pickup sensor in the distributor. This is a very good chance if you've still got the original Ford OEM distributor and its got high miles on it. Did you check for spark yet? I saw that you heard the fuel pump so spark is next on the list.
I agree! In some cases though, you'll still have spark even with a bad magnetic pickup. I would say it's either that or the ICM.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I agree! In some cases though, you'll still have spark even with a bad magnetic pickup. I would say it's either that or the ICM.
Although its still possible for the ICM to go bad, its a much more rare occurrance than it is for the magnetic pickup to go bad.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh. Sure enough, it was the Hall-effect sensor. Replaced the distributor last night, and all is right with the world again. :joy:

Thanks, everyone! :salute:

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Man those thing are dropping like flies all of a sudden

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Man those thing are dropping like flies all of a sudden
I guess its just that they're all coming to the end of their useful life. Another problem was that people started recently having issues with the MSD distributors for the 94/95 cars, PN: 8455 I believe. I've had mine for probably 2-3 years now and no problems.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe the pick-up dying is a built-in failsafe to prevent the engine from catching fire as the old fuel lines begin to leak?? :rofl:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Maybe the pick-up dying is a built-in failsafe to prevent the engine from catching fire as the old fuel lines begin to leak?? :rofl:
I haven't had any problems with fuel lines on these cars, just the brake lines.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems the distributor sensor wasn't the problem. It ran fine yesterday to and from work (90 miles, round trip). This morning it made it about 5 miles before it missed a couple of times then died. I figure I'll replace the ICM and put the original coil back on (running an Accel coil right now). Any other thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
How much fuel is in the tank when this happens?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much fuel is in the tank when this happens?
A little more than half a tank.

I replaced the ICM and put the old coil back on. No joy. It runs down the highway, then gives a little jerk...like a plug just misfired. Ten or fifteen seconds later, another miss. Ten seconds after that it just dies, and won't restart (just cranks). WTF? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Does the tach jump around or the lights flicker when it does it?

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
Sounds alot like a TFI module too. Or is that what yall are refering to be an ICM?

Maybe fuel pump then. You've eliminated alot already, and just because you can hear the pump, doesn't always mean it's working correctly.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, at the risk of once again saying it's fixed, turns out that maybe, just perhaps...sure seems like...the remanufactured distributor went bad. Got another distributor, hooked up the wires, attached a plug to the coil, and spun the distributor shaft by hand, and got fire. Put the (not-so) old distributor in place of the new and again spun the shaft by hand...no spark. Hooked up the new one again, spark. Installed the new distributor, and everything seems fine. Of course, the last one seemed fine, too. It works out that the first replacement lasted about 95 miles before it shot craps. And, it seems like most electronics, if they're going to fail, tend to do so fairly early on, so we'll see.

I was surprised that it failed so quickly, but I've read (on this forum) that some people have had to replace remanufactured distributors two and three times in a row. :curses:

Hopefully I can make it to work tomorrow. :eeek:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
In the interest of helping people later on down the line, I'll offer that any reman'd dizzy you get from a major parts house (Autozone, Advance, etc.) is probably going to come with marginal (at best) electronics installed. My first reman'd went bad after a few weeks of driving. Instead of getting a second one, I went to NAPA and bought the sensor from them. Their parts always strike me as being of a higher quality, so nobody get on here and tell me they are just the same. That would likely cause me to have a nervous breakdown. Anyway, that sensor has been going strong for several years now. $26.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Well, it's been two weeks since that second replacement distributor went in; still no issues. So far, so good... :)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Update

Well, it's been two weeks since that second replacement distributor went in; still no issues. So far, so good... :)
good stuff.......thats the thing about electronics, theres always a reasonable chance that they are DOA from the box.

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
In the interest of helping people later on down the line, I'll offer that any reman'd dizzy you get from a major parts house (Autozone, Advance, etc.) is probably going to come with marginal (at best) electronics installed. My first reman'd went bad after a few weeks of driving. Instead of getting a second one, I went to NAPA and bought the sensor from them. Their parts always strike me as being of a higher quality, so nobody get on here and tell me they are just the same. That would likely cause me to have a nervous breakdown. Anyway, that sensor has been going strong for several years now. $26.
NAPA parts FTW!! Napa manufacturers alot of their own parts, and if they put their name on somebody else's parts, it had BETTER be best! I'll always buy NAPA!(if I can afford it that is)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts