Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stang has a rebuilt engine with the mods in the sig... everything else is stock, including the original E7 heads. WHen I first got the car the engine made a ticking sound and it is constant through all rpms. I changed the oil and the noise is still there, it may be my imagination but it has gotten louder.... it sounds like a train almost. THe ticking sound is louder than my exhaust at idle!! It sounds like its a valve train problem opossed from a exhuast leak. How can I tell from the 2? I dont feel any air leaking from the heads/headers.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I popped off the drivers side valve cover and 2 of my rocker arms were loose! But I tried tighten them down but the bolt is bottomed out and the rocker arms are still loose. These are the stock arms. What could cause the rockers to stay loose. I could see if they were all loose but its only 2 of them!!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Registered
33 Posts
sounds to me like a bad lifter. try and put a product in it called Resinol (sp?) follow the directions and it should clean out the lifter if not new lifters are the fix.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are no shimms on the rockers

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Ive been driving the car like this for about a month and a half. So hopefully it can last a couple of more days till I get time to pull the lifters out... thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I fixed the ticking guys. I pulled the lower intake off and swapped lifters in the 2 bores that had the loose rockers and the rocker arms STILL didnt get tight. I then replaced the pushrods and swapped rocker arms from cylnder to cylinder and they still wouldnt get tight. So I cleaned the bolt hole inside the heads and wah-laa, they both bolted down correctly and they arent loose any more and NO MORE TICKING!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts