Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a 1995 Mustang vert. for $450.
The car is in perfect shape. The only catch is it has a blown head gasket. The guy (a friend of a friend) told me that he towed it to a dealership and they told him $750 to fix it.

Now this still seems like a deal to me. But I was tinkering around the idea about dropping in a 5.0

Has anyone done this? If so, if I don't do it myself, (which I won't) about home much $$$ would be needed to do the entire thing?

Also, does $750 sound right for the head gasket?

Thanks,
Hutch
1990 Mustang GT
2003 Mustang GT

·
Registered
166 Posts
well i take it the car has a v6 in it currently? i say if the body and interior is in good shape youd be a fool to pass it up for 450...yank the engine, trans, and rear and seel it and youll easly make your 450 dollars back...then see if you can find yourslef a wrecked gt or cobra and swap all those goodies into your shell check stangparts.com....having someone else do this is not gonna be worth the money, put some elbow grease in it and do it yourself

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.....if it's not worth it to pay someone to do the engine swap then I won't do that. But I think I am going to buy it. I can't really pass it up. And maybe later in life I'll do the swap.

Thanks for the input.

I found out the car has 125,000 miles on it. How much do you think a shop would charge me to put in a new engine (V6)? or am I better off just paying the $750 to get the head gasket replaced?

Hutch

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright bew, I'm looking at it on Sunday. So if I really don't like it for whatever reason, I'll let you know.

What all should I keep my eye out for when I go to look at this car? Again, it's a 1995 Mustang Vert. 3.8 V6 with an auto(I think)
The guy emailed me like 9 pictures. It all looks clean and nice.

Hutch

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey bew,
You say you'd give more than $450 for it? Well I was wrong, he is asking $550 for it.
I stopped by to look at it. It's light blue. Automatic. Inside is pretty clean. It has a minor ding on the back driver side by the tail light that makes the tail light cover stick out. It also has a few nicks and scratches on it as expected for a 1995 car. And the covertable top also has a small rip. Less than one inch right below the rear window. He said everything works on it with no leaks.
Let me know if you want me to send you some pictures of it as I decided not to buy it. This blue is not my color, and I'm not a mechanic.
Hutch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts