Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2003 Gt with a rod knock and I was wondering if an engine out of a 2008 mountaineer would be a suitable replacement. I got the motor for cheap and I know that id have to replace the top end stuff but would I be able to make it work?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
4.6 is a 4.6.

I am not 100% familiar with the mountaineer. But I used to race a 96 GT using excessive nitrous and blowing up motor after motor. Besides other GT's,.. I have used engines from Crown vics, Mercurys, F150 etc. Just swapped intakes and cams and that was pretty much it.

If memory serves correct,.. the 2008 Explorer and Mountaineers were rated something like 290hp. More than the 260 of a stock GT. So,.. may consider keeping the cams in place and see how that works. Depending on the mileage of the Mountaineer,.. I would also replace the timing chains, chain guides and tensioners just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1997 Mustang Cobra
378 Posts
4.6 is a 4.6.

I am not 100% familiar with the mountaineer. But I used to race a 96 GT using excessive nitrous and blowing up motor after motor. Besides other GT's,.. I have used engines from Crown vics, Mercurys, F150 etc. Just swapped intakes and cams and that was pretty much it.

If memory serves correct,.. the 2008 Explorer and Mountaineers were rated something like 290hp. More than the 260 of a stock GT. So,.. may consider keeping the cams in place and see how that works. Depending on the mileage of the Mountaineer,.. I would also replace the timing chains, chain guides and tensioners just for peace of mind.
The mountaineer would have been a 3V in 08 right?

·
Registered
244 Posts
They will bolt right onto the block. Yes the 3v in the mustang uses a different mount but it has the same mount holes. They use a bracket between the mount and block. I can’t explain it very well but the bottom line is that the sn95 mounts will bolt up to the 3v block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The mountaineer would have been a 3V in 08 right?
That I do not know. If I had to guess,.. I would say no. But I could be wrong and that would explain the 290hp rating.

I know the Crown Vic and Marquis both used 2v right up to the end.

If a 3V motor,.. none ofr your 2v intake parts will work. I would try to source a 05 - 10 GT intake and TB. The swap itself should be pretty straight forward. The only issue I see will be you may need the 3V ECM and harness due to the VVT cam phasers. Also,.. beware if the motor was cheap,.. the Cam phasers are prone to failure causing ticking and other noises. I've done a couple 4v swaps from 96 and 98 Cobras. the 2V ECM worked just fine and was very tunable.

Let us know how this turns out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.